Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey butchering

Old 04-12-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Turkey butchering

Anyone butcher their own bird? Seems like it might be pretty easy. How soon after the kill do you have to gut and butcher? Weather may get pretty warm in NJ to leave a turkey outside for a while.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey butchering

I usually just breast them out...
Old 04-12-2005, 07:18 PM

I think most everyone does their own butchering on turkeys. Three ways to do it.

1. The hard way: pluck it!

2. The easier way: skin it!

3. The easiest way: cut the breast out and the drumsticks if desired and throw the rest away!
Old 04-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

most of the time the people i hunt with just breast them.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:45 PM

If you aren't planning on having it mounted get it gutted as soon as possible. When I get home I skin them then soak them in saltwater.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:20 PM

a word of caution when plucking..... Do it far away from everything, out in the middle of a field preferably!! The little feathers will get into EVERYTHING!! Easy way to breast.... Pluck enough feathers on the breast to expose the skin in the center of the breast about 2" long 1/2" to 1" wide. Tear skin up and down as far as you can to expose the breast (it will tear pretty easy, but you may need to start it with a knife your first time), run your hunting knife down each side of the breast bone to seperate the breast meat from the rest of the carcus, DONE. No Knife? Left wing under left foot, right wing under right foot, grab a hold of the breasts, pull. Do pheasants that way and you can pound through 20 or 25 birds in an hour!!
Old 04-16-2005, 11:56 AM
CJW

Well I did my first one this morning and it was very easy. I started by cutting off the fan, wings, beard and head. Then I got some water boiling and dunked him in it for about 10 to 15 seconds and started plucking,(BTW, this method of plucking is probably the only way I'll do it from now on) and the feathers came out with ease. After I had the feathers out, I cut down at the bottom of the breast bone to the anis. Reach a few fingers up and pull the guts out. Remember to save the gizzard or heart if you want. Finally I cut the legs off of the drumsticks.

I did it this way because you save all of the meat and waste nothing.

CJW
Old 04-16-2005, 06:13 PM

Anyone here deep fry your turkey whole? MM...mmmmmm
Old 04-16-2005, 09:55 PM

Tried that once but the head kept popping up to the top and the feathers got real greasy!
Old 04-17-2005, 08:13 PM

oh yea i hear you MO_Bowhnter its the best kind of way to eat a turkey !! from what i think.

Quick Reply: Turkey butchering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.