Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Ageing a turkey? correctly

Old 04-12-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Ageing a turkey? correctly

I wanted to see what you "experienced" and long time turkey hunters thought about this subject. From the biologists I've talked to and from the books I've read some say you can judge up to but not past 3 years of age (talking about gobblers) and others say you can judge up to but not past 4 years of age. I've heard some guys say "Thats a 5 or 6 year old turkey" I just dont believe you can "accurately" judge one past 3 or 4. Just my opinion. What do you guys think? This same question may have been posted in the past. If it has I apologize.
ADDENDUM: Just got off the phone with another biologist from the NWTF. He said that you can judge one accurately between 60-70% by 2 years old. As they get older the accuracey % decreases. He says this is because turkeys vary so much during their growth. He says theirs even big variasions with differnt species. He told me down in Mississippi a few years ago, him & another scientist banded 2 young jakes (both of them were still with a hen) during the summer. He said one of them got killed before the next year and the other one was killed the next year as a 2 year old with and 1 1/4" spur. Thats a big dad gum spur for a 2 year old. And the thing was they knew it was a 2 year old because he still had the band on him that they actually put on. Most people would have classed that bird as 4 year old or greater. So I just wanted to add that. I thought it was pretty interesting.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ageing a turkey? correctly

I have read articles on aging turkeys and aging one between 1,2,and3 years is pretty easy. You can tell the difference between 3 and 4 year old birds though. I think after four years old you are right though, Just mostly becomes a guessing game unless the spurs are huge and the bird is obviosly over 4.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:27 AM

Default RE: Ageing a turkey? correctly

from what I know,it is dificult to tell after they get grown. the beards wear off or get burned off.the spurs can wear in rough country (rocky) they may only be 1/2" or 3/4" on a 3 or 4 year old bird where sandy soils will be 1 1/4" on a two year old.

unlike deer there are no teeth to look at.a biologist my have a way to look at bones to age,(if they can,they have never said).

most "I Think" is just a guess.that is JMHO.[&:][&:]