Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

mo turkey hunt

Old 04-11-2005, 12:35 PM

Default mo turkey hunt

the 18th of april is open day and i have been waiting sence last year's end of bow season so wish me luck
Old 04-11-2005, 02:21 PM

Default RE: mo turkey hunt

Good luck! Seems to be even more turkeys here in MO than last year. My son scored on one saturday of the youth hunt. Should be a good year. I am looking forward to it as well.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:05 PM

Good luck to you! I cant wait neither, I took my neice out this weekend, and had some hens get within 30 yards or so, but no gobblers. The gobblers seem to be really henned up aroound here, but in another week it should be getting good.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:19 PM

Yep, the 18th is closing in pretty quick! I'm taking the first two weeks off work to hunt. Nothing like a hunting vacation! The birds are plentiful around here and have been gobbling really well for quite some time now. I've seen a bunch of longbeards on my scouting trips and I hope to fill a couple of tags with them! Good luck to all fellow MO hunters and be safe out there!
Old 04-11-2005, 06:20 PM

good luck im waiten to i got till the 30th
Old 04-11-2005, 08:13 PM

As Roland Martin would say, "OH SON"!!! Every year I get more and more anxious to hunt in MO. I have been lucky enough to have a family farm in southcentral MO for 20 years and each year my anticipation for the spring turkey season there grows by leaps and bounds. The only downside too hunting in southern MO is that it is possible to make one spoiled! The birds are so big and so numerous that hunting in other, less desirable places is less appealing.

We've actually had Roy Rhodes (multiple worlds champion caller and callmaker) and Chuck Jones (formerly of Knight & Hale) on our place over the years and they both LOVED it. Chuck grewup nearby the farm and went to school with one of our cattlemen so he spent a morning or two on the ranch a few years back and compared it too the best places he had been with Knight & Hale. He said rarely had heard so many unmolested birds on one place and he was really happy to have had the chance to hunt it. I thought that really spoke well of the ranch. But to be honest, there are ALOT of places in southern MO that are just literally INFESTED with large turkeys. Some years the jakes will go 18-20#s, the 2 year old birds will weigh 21-23#s and sport 10"-11.5" beards with 1" or less spurs. The true trophies, the 4+ year old "Missouri limbhangers" will weigh from 24 too in excess of 26#s with beards well over 12" and some will sport spurs over 1.75". For old hill country, limestone terrain birds those are BIG! And son they gobble their fooled heads off. You literally can hear their morning thunder for MILES and the "hardest decision" typically is choosing which bird you want to go after. Thats a GOOD problem to have in my book! I think thats why that part of the state is considered the MECCA of turkey hunting. I'm a "Tomist" and each year I make my journey too Mecca!!!

Like James Taylor says, "Come Monday, it'll be alright"
RA
Old 04-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just waiting, If there is anytime of the year that I'm completely worthless it would have to be the 3 weeks of turkey season, I hunt almost every morning of season, some morning during the week I may not get to hunt but about an hour, But I'm off for the weekends and the whole last week of season.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well good luck. My season opens on the 15th and I am way pumped. Hope everybody has a great time!!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: strut

If there is anytime of the year that I'm completely worthless it would have to be the 3 weeks of turkey season
Boy, I hear ya there, Strut!! It seems my life is totally consumed by turkey hunting every spring. Plus, I'm lucky enough to be able to take a couple of weeks vacation during the season every year. It don't get much better than that!

Red Allison, as I always say, Missouri IS the "Wild Turkey Capitol of the World". Sounds like you already know that though!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:35 PM

Everyone keep you fingers crossed. Just saw the weather forcast for early next week...and it looks like Missouri hunters are in for a great opener.

I know I'll be sittin' in the woods somewhere in northeastern Missouri with one of my special turkey-huntin' muzzleloaded shotguns come daybreak next Monday morning.

You know, I use to hunt turkeys to fill that long void between deer seasons...now I deer hunt to fill that long void between turkey seasons! My...My...How things change.

Toby Bridges
PigBuster