Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 First timer, sorta , How to set up ? >

First timer, sorta , How to set up ?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First timer, sorta , How to set up ?

Old 03-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default First timer, sorta , How to set up ?

Hi, this is sorta my first time taking turkey hunting seriously, i've hunted them 2 yrs, but never really did much calling, just sorta went out there. i don't really know much about calling, i know some though. enough to get by. but how do u set up from the roost? how far, how do u set ur decoys/blind ?
Just would like your 2 cents, thanx
Kyle
Old 03-27-2005, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: First timer, sorta , How to set up ?

I am new too.

One thing I have found that helps is to watch all the turkey hunting shows you can.

Just watching others set up will give you an idea of how to do it.

Haveing that mental image of them helps with being nervis to.

What I have come up with is to sit close to a big tree.
And call to them and when they get close sit tight and still.

If you can use a mouth diaphgram call to not move.

And wear all camo it does matter.

I found out the hard way last year.

What ever you do don't make the Put Putt sound. ( Its the danger sound )

I did and it cost me my turkey last year.

I learned that one the hard way lol.

Good Luck
Old 03-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: First timer, sorta , How to set up ?

Distance from the roost depends on terrain details. Don't try to get too close, but setting a never ever distance would be wrong. I've called birds from over a half mile, and I've set up within 50 yards of the roost and been successful too. Cover, direction of your approach and the lay of the land are the big factors in distance.

The best advice would be to learn the terrain on which you intend to hunt. Scout for sign, all the while making mental notes of the terrain. Learn the depressions and avenues that you can use to move with the least amount of detection.

Woodsmanship plays into turkey hunting just as much as your calling ability. I've had to call aggressive to som Tom's, while others require very little calling... sometimes just a yelp or pair of clucks will bring the gobbler right up your gun barrel. Let the Tom tell you what he wants to hear... each hunt is a little different and you'll learn more in that fashion from being out there.

As far as learing, I had the good fortune of having an accomplished turkey hunter as a teacher. In the absence of that, I agree that video's, although not all, will be your biggest ace in the hole as a new turkey hunter. Try to choose the edorsed instructional or how to video's over those that are set on hunting preserves.

Watch the good ones, read as much as you can and by all means get in the turkey woods. By observing the wild turkey in nature, seeing the habits, sounds, etc., you've got the best teacher of all.