Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What would you do?

Old 03-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default What would you do?

Ok guys where would you set up at if you were me. I drove by my place yesterday and about 20 Turkey were on the Alfalfa at 3:45. Ok when season starts would you set up near the field or back by the creek. Because they roost in a big tree next to the creek. And on the other side of the creek there is a big open field with lots of tall grass. Where would you guys set up at.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What would you do?

i would be on the edge of that open field with a lone hen decoy,a soft tree yelp or two when he sounds off and be ready.of course distance comes into play but a turk rather fly down into a opening than not.i have had that situation before and he flew the other way so go figure.good luck and let us know how your plan worked out.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:19 PM

set up by the creek in the mornin and set up by the field during the day the go back to the creek at night

Old 03-09-2005, 02:09 PM

The turkeys are in flocks right now. They will break off into smaller flocks as breeding season approaches. Chances are there will still be turkeys there when season opens. I would set up on the edge of field using a breeding pair of turkeys. A jake and a hen decoy. Wait until daylight, I always wait until the regular birds start chirping, here its usually a whipperwill. Then I do some real soft tree yelps. If a Gobbler is near he will respond with a gobble. After a few minutes I like to do a flydown cackle and beat a wingthing on my pant leg. I usually wait a few minutes then start some more soft yelps.From there you have to use your judgement as when to call or shut up. I usually do this by listening to how the gobbler is reacting to my calls. Is he double gobbling and coming towards me, is he single gobbling, is he going away, or did he shut up all together. This is where experience turkey hunting comes to in to play. I would think the gobbler will head to field to strut after he fly down. Especially if he thinks there's a hen in the field. Sometime they are roosted with hens and this doesn't work. But I would start there on the field edge. Ridgerunner
Old 03-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I would spend a few mornings right before the season opens listening and watching the field trying to figure out were and what time they are entering the field Then set up just inside the field edge with a decoy or two[:-]
Old 03-10-2005, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I have been seeing these turkey on the alfalfa everyday at 3:45 at the same spot... I guess I will just have to set up somewhere and use this information that you gave me and hope I can get one to come to me.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:01 AM

I'd keep an eye on their patterns up until you are ready to hunt them, and if they were still using the field come hunting time, I'd set up in the woods somewhere on the route they would normally take, unless the woods were unsuitable for an effective set up.

Hal
Old 03-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

When does season start? Let us know how it goes!
Old 03-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

The season start April 6th here in Oklahoma....