Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How often should you sandpaper crystal calls, striker? >

How often should you sandpaper crystal calls, striker?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How often should you sandpaper crystal calls, striker?

Old 03-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default How often should you sandpaper crystal calls, striker?

I got me the Primos Power Crystal, and when I roughed it up, I wasn't thinking and did it in circles, then remembered and roughed it up all over in one direction. First, will I be ok in those circular spots over time as I continue to rough it up in that same one direction?

Also, it seems like I have to rough it up every few series of yelps to keep the sound good, meaning I'll be doing it during hunts between calls sometimes. Is it normal to have to rough it up this often?

Thanks for any help you can give! By the way, I find the rosewood strikers to sound best on the crystal.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How often should you sandpaper crystal calls, striker?

that sounds normal to me.......i have to sand mine in the woods, but i dont call too too much, so that helps......i'm not really sure what the circular sanding would do, i would think it would be just fine if you didnt sand it too much and continued with the one way sanding........you'll love the crystal, it's one of my calls that ALWAYS goes into the woods with me.....i might not use it, but i know it's there as a backup if needed...havent needed it since my kaiser kalls though......

the purpleheart wood is the best i have heard on it...........
Old 03-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your call should be just fine. I know when I got my power crystal about 4 year's ago, I really had to rough it up to make it sound good. Thought I was gonna ruin it , I roughed it up so much, But now I'm not sure you could ever rough that call up too much. To me...the Power Crystal is the best slate primos ever made.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me and a buddy of mine bought the same glass calls one year. After a few days of messing with the call I really couldn't get it to sound very good so I just tossed it in a box with my other calls. The next time I seem my buddy he took his call out and started running it. Man my mouth dropped it sounded awsome. I asked him what he did and he told me he sanded the crap out of it... So that is what I did and that paticular call goes in my vest every year now...

So sand the crap out of it
Old 03-05-2005, 06:46 PM

Sand it, Sand it, Sand it, then Sand it again I don't think you can hurt the things. I practice with mine every day and sand it before I use it and it still sounds as good as the day I bought it.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:51 PM

When I Had The Freak Crystal I Took A Dremel To It With A Wire Brush, Evenly Did t One Way...
Once Its Really Sanded It Sounds Ok... I Would Get A Primos Slick Stick Worked Good On It Out In The Boonies. I Didnt Like The Stricker Tho...A Good Stricker I Thought Was The QB Hardwood I Think It Is..Comes With The Eradicator.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use a condisioning stone on these such crystal calls. This will do a better job then any sand paper out there. Primos do make one and they are wirth every dime...BT
Old 03-06-2005, 06:27 AM

I also use a conditoning stone to ruff up my Primos power Crystal call. It's the best call out there. I call alot when I'am hunting and I do alot of cutting. I hunt 3 states every year and that call realy brings them in.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you talking about Primos "slick stick" 5 in one conditioner with stone? That is the only "stone" I see that Primos makes to condition friction calls.

Thanks! I really appreciate all of your great advice!
Old 03-06-2005, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

I think if you continue to sand in one direction you'll be just fine....I just purchased the Primos Power Crystal to add to my double-sided Andy Kaiser Zebrawood glass/slate call. I think I've got a good combo!

Quick Reply: How often should you sandpaper crystal calls, striker?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.