Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Completely new to turkey hunting >

Completely new to turkey hunting

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Completely new to turkey hunting

Old 03-04-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Completely new to turkey hunting

Well, I've hunted deer/squirrel/grouse and tons of other game, except for the turkey, so I had a few questions regarding it I'd like to ask.

First off, I have a H&R topper 20 guage with a full choke. It'll take up to 3 inch shells. Would this be appropriate for taking turkeys? If so, what shell size range should I got for? #4-#6 seems to be about right? My father has a remington 1100 in 16 gauge, which interchangable chokes if necessary, if I can get it to actually eject shells [:@]

Also, I understand full camo is a must, but is scent control any issue?

Finally, I have a wooden box call, one side for gobblers, other for hens. Something like "world champion turkey call" or something along the lines of that. Should I go ahead and get a mouth call or could I get by with this?

I appreciate any replies, and hope to get some hunting in this year.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Completely new to turkey hunting

Mike01,

Welcome to the world of turkey hunting, get ready to be addicted.

The 20 or 16, with the proper shells will take a turkey. I personally have taken a few birds with a 20, but I mostly use a 12 ga. , 3 in. mag. I use both #5 & #6 shot. You will need to buy some shells of different loads and get you a target, preferably one of a turkey head and neck. Then try different shells at different distances to see which one will put the most shot in the head neck area.

As for as calls, I've got a few different ones, the hardest to learn will most likely be a mouth call. The two I use the most, is a slate, Old Yellar and a mouth call. Except for the old yellar, all of mine came from Wal Mart and the most expensive one was $19.00. I have several that are good and some that are junk, some are also home made by me. I have a friend that only buys top dollar stuff, guns and calls, some of his calls cost anywhere from 100 to $300.00, I rag him all the time by telling him I kill just as many turkeys with my $5.00 Wal Mart specials as he does with those custom calls. You'll have to try different ones.

Camo is a must, from clothes and I recommend it on your gun. You'll need a camo hat (no red, blue, or white on anything you wear because those are colors you'll find on a turkey, Think Safety!!!!!!!!), camo head net, gloves, coat shirt, pants, and I even wear camo boots, I also use a blind, which is nothing more than some camo cloth I tied to some small diameter metal rods and if I have time I put it up in front of me.

Keep movement to a minium at all times!!! If you have a bird coming to you, get that gun up and pointed in that direction, They Will Catch Your Movements.

Depending on where you live, carry mosquito repellant with you, scent isn't normally a problem. You may need snake boots to.

There's a 1000 more things I could tell you and I'm sure some more folks will come on here and tell you about them, listen to their advice. You might want to get some tapes and/or videos' to listen or watch on turkey hunting.

Hope some of this helped, I doubt I answered all your questions.

Good luck,
dog1
Old 03-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

A 20 Ga will be fine just go and try different shells and
different brands and different shot to see witch one
patterens better.

Shot size is really up to you between # 4 and # 6 should be fine.

And full camo is a must I tried it with out full camo last year
for the first and it does matter.

Just DON"T go Putt Putt They will head for the hills ( Its a danger sound )

A box call is fine to get them close but when they get close
a mouth diaphragm call will help by not moving your arms and hands.

Really you need more than one type of call because they will
respond to a different call from day to day.

I have a box call and diaphragm and Knight & Hale Ole Yeller Sla-Tek call.

I am new to this to I really messed up last year.
I got them close but made some mistakes.
Hopefully this year I won't make them again and get one
or two LoL.

Any Way Good Luck from one beginer to another one.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Mike01

Also, I understand full camo is a must, but is scent control any issue?
Nope...If Turkeys Could Smell..We Would Never Get Em Cept Outa Pure Luck.

I have a wooden box call, one side for gobblers, other for hens.
Dont Get The Impression....That One Side Calls In Certain Sexes....Each Side Works The Same Just Sound Diffrent

As For Mouth Call...Thats Soley Up To You....They Take A While To Master.
There Good For Turkey Just To far To Shoot But To Close To Move.

I Would Sugjest A Pog Peg (Friction) Call...They Sound Good And Less Movment...I Would Sugjest, Primos The Freak...It Can Strap To Your Knee And To Gun Stock...Only Takes 1 Hand To Operate.

Good Luck This Season
Old 03-04-2005, 06:31 PM

I really appreciate the replies. If anything else I'll just use this season to experiment and get the general idea with it. Glad to know my gun should be able to handle it, if in the odd situation I actually happen to see a turkey . Once again thanks for the replies, I'll let ya'll know if I happen to see anything this season.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Mike01....another thing to add to what everyone else has said, don't get wrapped up in thinking you have to be a world champion caller. Often times, more often than not, it is better to remain quiet after getting the gobbler's attention. Calling a lot will make them gobble, but in nature, the hen is supposed to go to the gobbler. By calling less, it will make the gobbler look for the hen and hopefully wind up in your lap. Learn the yelp, cutt, and purr and this will be enough to get you by for the first year. Turkey's are also noisy when feeding and scratch in the leaves. After getting a gobbler interrested, a few light purrs and some leaf scratching will often times put the tom at ease and he'll come on in to look for the hen that is content and feeding. I've killed more birds by playing hard to get than getting them all fired up. Good luck this season and as previously stated, think safety first and enjoy the spring. One more thing, PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE...When you think you've given him enough time to show up, sit there another 30 min to an hour. This has cost me several good birds.