Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Team 4 Roll Call

Old 03-30-2005, 10:29 AM

Default RE: Team 4 Roll Call

Sorry if you see two similar posts here. I wrote one and it didn't show, so then I wrote another. Hopefully both don't show. If so, I will delete or edit the 2nd when I visit again..........
Old 03-30-2005, 02:06 PM

This should be the updated version. According to the team list

Old 03-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Zip....no more waiting until wk 3 of the season. Heard plenty at sunrise, but the gobblers are henned up. Had a good time, and learned a few more things about the terrain and movement patterns. I'm already thinking about next season. Good luck to the rest of you. Go Team #4.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well gang, we hunted hard and nobody connected. It's been a tough spring season on Mauna Kea. We heard a lot of gobblers at sunrise, but they're very henned up. We couldn't compete with the real thing. (Hens in the harem are worth more than the lost one up the hill... ) The high point was having a raspy boss hen get hacked off at my yelping. We cut & clucked at each other for about 10 min. I wish I coulda taped it.

I did get to meet Ray Eye, Bob Walker & Paul Butsky(?) at an NWTF banquet. They were hunting and taping for some hunting shows. They only got one in a week of hard hunting!

"Man you got some hard turkeys to hunt over here."-B. Walker

Good luck to the rest of you. I hope you have as much fun as I did. Go Team #4 Boxcall Bandits!
Old 04-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Who is actually hunting turkeys at this point?? We're still chomping at the bit here in PA - a few weeks to go yet. Looks like Team 4 won't really start scoring until late.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:03 AM

I'm soooo pumped!!! Yesterday afternoon I did a little scouting at this place I hunt. Not much sign, and I had my Lab along to spook 'em real good, but around 4:00 p.m. I came to a place, took a pee and thought I saw red. So I sat down and waited five minutes, then cutt loudly on a mouth diaphragm. (It was pretty windy.) I cutt a second time and got a gobble response. I yelped, gobble, yelp, gobble. In about a minute I was able to see two toms (two redheads) coming my way, one I named Jake, and one I named Tom. Tom strutted and gobbled, Jake even strutted a few times. I had my dog laying down behind me, and I hung on to his collar so he wouldn't charge at the turks if they got close. The pair came to about 30 yards from where I was sitting, peering in my direction through the sparse understory for probably 10 minutes. I didn't cluck or purr, because I really didn't want them to come any closer until next Monday, April 11th, when I'll be there with gun in hand!!

I patterned some 3 1/2" Federal HeavyWeight Mag Shok with Flite Control wads and #6 shot in my Mossberg 935 w/ Rhino choke on Saturday. If I don't get the shakes or suffer buck fever, any tom coming within 45 yards will be down for the count with one shot. The patterning was simply awesome!! At 45 yards about 20 pellets, on average, in the "kill zone" (spine and brain area) on a turkey target, plus many in the rest of the head, neck and body area. At close range, 15 yards, I still have a large number of pellets in all 4 quadrants of a 30" circle/target, plus a heavy concentration of pellets at the center of the target, so I should be able to shoot close as well, and not have to be too precise.

Can't wait for the 11th!!! Good luck, Team 4!!!
Old 04-04-2005, 04:56 PM

We havnt started huntin here in Virginia until April 9
Old 04-06-2005, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

team 4 my season starts sat. april 9 iam leaving for a 10 day hunt mt. wy. and possibly id. if i do not make the id. opener i will hunt id. on the weekends i will be able to hunt from now until the end of may the long wait is finally over good luck to all
Old 04-06-2005, 02:41 PM

I get to start Sat
Old 04-06-2005, 06:59 PM

For the earlier question about what part of Georgia I will be hunting, I will be hunting in Wilkenson and Twiggs county. Lots of birds and plenty of time to hunt. I know I will need a lot of luck as I have had in the past. Shot a turkey opening day but won't post score until the end of the season in case I get another bird. How was the hunting around Augusta?

Quick Reply: Team 4 Roll Call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.