Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Scout now or Later ? ??

Old 02-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scout now or Later ? ??

I got my license for one tom in the end of april, when should i start scouting? today's feb 17... is it too early because i know they have different habits in the winter than spring. When should i start and what should i look for ?
Old 02-17-2005, 02:58 PM

Default RE: Scout now or Later ? ??

for me it's never to early , I look for dust bowls and scratching.and of cousre the birds in the openings.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can never get enough knowledge about any animal that you hunt.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

i agree...if your serious about tagging one scout every chance you can....you are right....they might not be in the same place in a month or 2...but youll know where to start looking....and learn their daily habits...soon as the weather breaks they will start heating up...not sure what state....but end of april...id say your up north somewhere...so the weathers probably still cold maybe snow....but you can still scout them and find them now....and figure out what they like to do...
Old 02-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can scout now. What your gonna find is the hen's and some jake's still flocked up, and the tom's still in their bachalor group's. Ya just need to remember...that the flock's you find now...will break up just before season open's...and where you find some at now, you'll more than likely find some there still come season's opener....but then what I do is 2-3 week's before season....I scout the expanded area's, where you should start finding smaller group's getting ready for the breeding season....Good Luck to ya...I'm sure you'll fill your tag..
Old 02-17-2005, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

I start shed-hunting around the second week of Feb and also do some scouting then. That's too early to be picking out where I'll setup come April, but it gives me an idea of where to start looking when I start doing some serious scouting in early April.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:18 AM

When I Start Shed Hunting, 1st Week Of March Is When I Kinda Look Around..Then We Drive Around Looking For Them. Ohhhhhhh....3rd Week Of March Im Out There Calling
Old 02-18-2005, 10:34 AM

Start now and don't quit. Learn as much as you can about the areas that the birds like to hang out. Travel paths, feeding areas, water holes... learn the terrain so that when you have to set up on a gobbler you know what your options are and can prevent making set up mistakes that keep him from coming in.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with a lot of these posts....scout as often as possible. If you scout now you'll still have to scout again around 3 weeks out of the season because birds will split up and move a little. Any birds you find now probably won't move too far..maybe within a mile or so..
Old 02-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

its never to early to scout. The more you scout, the more likely you'll be bringing home a trophy!!

Quick Reply: Scout now or Later ? ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.