Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Getting a late start in the morning >

Getting a late start in the morning

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Getting a late start in the morning

Old 01-08-2002, 01:47 AM
Spike

Default Getting a late start in the morning

I have been looking at the hour I will be working during season and I will be working 11-7am it look like I will be getting into the woods about 8am I would much rather get their before sun up and set up but that not going to happen. What does everone else thing about late morning hunts and what is the best way to approach this problem??
Old 01-08-2002, 02:22 AM

Default RE: Getting a late start in the morning

I have never been able to get one yet the first hour after light. So I wouldnt worry about it. I have been out before light many mornings and sometimes heard gobbling all over the place but once they fly down they never come to me. I seem to have the best luck between 8:30-11:00.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had lots of luck after 10am.Slip into a place you know holds turkeys and make some calls.If nothin happens then it's time to run and gun.Many times when I can't get a bird to cooperate early in the mornin I'll go somewhere else then come back around 10:00 and have had success.The hens are headin back to the nest by then and them gobblers start to feel lonely.
Old 01-08-2002, 04:51 AM
Typical Buck

.I have killed alot of gobblers,between the hours of,8am& 11am,good time to get them if there is not a whole lot of hunters in your woods......

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...
Old 01-08-2002, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

This can be some of the best times of the day. All the yahoos that don't know what they are doing have left or fallen asleep. The hens may also be leaving the gobblers by now and that can only be a good thing.

If you know where the turkeys travel after they leave the roost, I would head there. Start off with soft calls, to see if you get any response.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

Anytime you can go, it's great. Like jalvja said, slip in and if nothing happens go run-n-gun. Lots of guys in the woods have to be at work at 9 so some will be leaving as you're going in.

Good luck. Check this verse out.

Romans 8:28
Old 01-08-2002, 12:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-08-2002, 01:28 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-08-2002, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

I have foun that after 9 am the birds arent as responsive, but if you know where they are head to that spot. My experiences have found that when you get a late gobbler to answer he is usually on his way quickly, so don't call unless your ready to setup quickly.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I kinda use the reverse tactic this time of morning.Instead of running and gunning I slow way down and play the waiting game.Especially if I know a gobbler has been using a particular area to strut in.I set-up near it and wait him out.He'll make the rounds and be there sooner or later because thats where he's use to meeting up with the hens.If I know for sure he's using the area I sit without calling and listen for gobbling and strutting.Once I hear him I call just enough to let him know I'm there.Works well for me.

Quick Reply: Getting a late start in the morning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.