Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

A tip to share.

Old 01-29-2005, 03:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default A tip to share.

I was flipping through my latest edition of Turkey Call the other day and saw a new vest that is on the market this year and it looks pretty good. A lot of pockets (40) i believe and several (7 I think) new patented features. Anyway, I noticed there was a piece of nylon webbing attached to the shoulder of the vest, in a loop, so you can put the butt of your gun in it to hold it up and allow the shooting hand to be free. I've often pondered how to accomplish such a task and after seeing this, I don't know why I didn't figure it out sooner. Well I have a fairly new vest and I'm not ready to get a new one just for this simple, but ingenius, feature. So I found a piece of 1" nylon webbing that I happened to have (I told the old lady I'd need it for something) and I got out my trusty Betsy Ross starter kit and sewed that sucker on. It holds the but of my gun up into my shoulder and is secured by sliding forward of the bottom sling swivel stud on the toe of the stock. Thought I'd share the tip for anyone else that may need their hands free to use your friction calls. I'll try to get hold of one 'nem digital type picture boxes and show ya'll what I'm talking about.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A tip to share.

Good idea.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Gobbling Buck

I was flipping through my latest edition of Turkey Call the other day and saw a new vest that is on the market this year and it looks pretty good. A lot of pockets (40) i believe and several (7 I think) new patented features. Anyway, I noticed there was a piece of nylon webbing attached to the shoulder of the vest, in a loop, so you can put the butt of your gun in it to hold it up and allow the shooting hand to be free. I've often pondered how to accomplish such a task and after seeing this, I don't know why I didn't figure it out sooner. Well I have a fairly new vest and I'm not ready to get a new one just for this simple, but ingenius, feature. So I found a piece of 1" nylon webbing that I happened to have (I told the old lady I'd need it for something) and I got out my trusty Betsy Ross starter kit and sewed that sucker on. It holds the but of my gun up into my shoulder and is secured by sliding forward of the bottom sling swivel stud on the toe of the stock. Thought I'd share the tip for anyone else that may need their hands free to use your friction calls. I'll try to get hold of one 'nem digital type picture boxes and show ya'll what I'm talking about.
This will get you a catalog:

http://www.oltomgobbler.com/default.asp
Old 01-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Neat idea for holding the butt of your gun in place, but you still need that H.S. Strut gun knee rest to work in conjunction with that. I love that knee rest, and wouldn't leave home without it.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a deadly combination!
Old 01-29-2005, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

but you still need that H.S. Strut gun knee rest to work in conjunction with that.
You are right on that. I'll be getting one very soon.

dawei.....Thanks for the link. Got mine ordered.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes that is a great idea!!Very[8D]!!I may try a pretty cool shooting stick I found this year!Its much like a turkey decoy stake but it is obviously is made for your firearm to rest upon!
Old 01-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

I got my catalog ordered also dawei
Old 01-30-2005, 06:11 PM

Bob--I had a shooting stick from NWTF and lost it in Kansas last year. Did you find mine??? Its green.

(Just kidding--I did lose mine, but I know you didn't find it--my point is that there used to be, and still may be a shooting stick for sale through the NWTF website. I think it cost under $10.00. Works fine, and I'll have to look for a replacement, now that you mention it.)
Old 01-30-2005, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was thinking that if you anchored one end to the shoulder and then put a button on it, the other end could hang free with a buttonhole. That way you wouldn't have a loop to get hung up as you move through brush. Just button it up when you get set.

Quick Reply: A tip to share.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.