Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 keping mouth calls in good shape >

keping mouth calls in good shape

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

keping mouth calls in good shape

Old 01-20-2005, 09:53 PM

Default keping mouth calls in good shape

hey guys

I was looking for input on how you guys keep your mouth calls in good condition during the off season. My problem is always that the reeds stick together badly after beinf used and then dont sound good anymore.

What can i use or do to them to keep them in better condition for longer?

Thanks!

Mat
Old 01-21-2005, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: keping mouth calls in good shape

Mat.Here's what I do.At the end of the season I dip them in mouthwash,rinse them off,seperate the reeds,let them air dry,put em in an airtight container then put them in the fridge.To seperate the reeds,they have things specially made for this.I know Quaker Boy and Penns Woods both make em.The flat end of a toothpick works just as well.Seperate the reeds while the calls are still wet.When you go to use the calls just wet them again and pull the seperaters out.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I heard that you put them in the refrigerator also, but what Jalvja said sounds right to me!!
Old 01-21-2005, 09:52 AM

good advice guys, thanks, ill give that a try.

Anyone else have tricks they use?

Mat
Old 01-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The things Jalvja talked about being specially made for separataing reeds are also sold as flat plastic paper clips. I dont think they are worth a darn as a clip, but they work great to separate reeds. One thing though, when you want to use the call again, wet the reeds first before you pull the toothpick or separator out or you might tear them.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard that improperly rinsed calls can be source of sore throats. I do the mouthwash thing per jalvja's advice.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I throw them out after the season. I buy more in March or so, since season doesnt start till May usually. If I find one that I really like, I go back to the store and buy a few and keep them for following seasons. They usually all cost less then $8 anyhow....cheap enough for me.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I stick call savers from quaker boy between the reeds on mine and put them in the fridge. You can also use toothpicks inbetween the reeds.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do the exact same thing Rick does,"I buy new"!!I also have 3 to 5 calls broke in through the course of spring season ready to go in case I lose tone,accidentally ruin one,or even lose them!!!!!
Old 01-24-2005, 11:34 AM

I keep about a dozen in my vest at all times, and have never bothered with soaking and separating reeds. Not that I'd advise anyone else to do the same, but I can't resist buying one or two I've never tried before, each time I go to the sporting goods store. I am always using fairly new ones it seems...

Hal

Quick Reply: keping mouth calls in good shape

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.