Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 what do you look for in a hunt you pay for? >

what do you look for in a hunt you pay for?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

what do you look for in a hunt you pay for?

Old 01-14-2005, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what do you look for in a hunt you pay for?

don't listen to him, adrian, barre is at least an hour closer for you to come to! rutland isn't even considered part of vermont, more like it belongs to new york, lol.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what do you look for in a hunt you pay for?

Interesting listening to this conversation fellers!!Very good ? vtb!!!I speak here mainly from a guides perspective but these are but few things I've come to grips with over the years!From recollecting conversations and introductions from clients over the years the #? always centers around the area you hunt and the birds themselves(population,gobbling activity,stage there in,how big they are, how big the ranch is, and so on!Even though some of these as well as many other questions may seem elementary and trivial to a seasoned turkey hunter,imho its our responsibility as a guide to do the best we can as cordial and patient as we can to answer a perspective clients questions!As a guide part of providing the opportunity for a fulfilling hunt is being prepared to answer these type of questions.Obviously some of this comes from experience others comes from time spent doing your homework afield!Being informative in a hospitable manner goes a long way with clients, from the meeting of a customer to the hunt itself!
As a customer theres nothing worse than hunting with a jerk for a guide!And yes there are some!Its a frusterating experience to hunt an area that has a good population of birds with no confidence in your guide!Conversely a guide that is honest and informative will keep me huntin even if we only hear one gobbler!Adrian makes some terrific observations in satifying a paying customer in stating back-up plans/places and persistance make a client believe in his guide!To that end understanding your customers physical health is very important!Most young fellas can run the hills and keep up just fine older fellas,some not all ladies as well as kids you must be patient with and try and steer your hunt to that end!
Obviously providing a realistic opportunity is what most folks are paying for!I say most because there are a handful that are more into the lodge/country experience!And thats fine but I can say first hand I know more about turkeys than the lodge!!But with that said i've made many introductions at the lodge and talked turkey for hours with clients that in the end help prepare us when we take to the field!In ending,one thing I always try and do is share my appreciation and passion for hunting turkeys with those that I take afield!Calling demontrations,set-ups and all questions hopefully answered go along way with your clients!No secrets here,make a client feel like your hiding something from him And I know I wouldn't be back!!!Hope this helps a little vtb!!!