Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need some help!!

Old 01-12-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Need some help!!

Hey all,

New to the forum and new to Turkey hunting. I hunted this spring and fall and though I haven't bagged a bird I'm already hooked after having had a gobbler check out my hen decoy but stayed just out side my guns reach.
Any how, I have a question if some one cares to take the time to help me out. I live on Ft. Campbell Army Base in Kentucky and they have decided to add a bonus turkey hunt beginning the 15th of Jan to the 31st. They are allowing 2 hens due to serious population increases and die offs. The question is where do I find these birds in the winter time and do I hunt the same way I do spring toms?
Old 01-12-2005, 06:08 PM

Default RE: Need some help!!

Turkeys Arent As Vocal In Winter So Calling Isnt Really An Option...As For Finding Them...Do Some Scouting. Here In WI In Are I Live, Because Of Freezing Rain. The Seem To hang Out In The Thick. (Ceder Swamps) In The Coniferous Areas. Ummm... Once You Find Where They Roost You Can Hang There In Morning, Evenings.
Good Luck.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:52 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I agree - they will roost in pine trees - so any confier plantation.

Second they have to eat and also look for their feeding area. For calls you could try kee-kees or lost hen calls. And of course the whote camo if ya all have snow!

Say you bag a hen or two DO NOT THROW THE WINGS AWAY!! I will pay for postage and and will build you a wing bone call.

Just PM me. The wings can be wrapped in plastic and boxed - that is it!

JW
Old 01-12-2005, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping I do bag a bird or two. If do, I'll let you know and see about those wing bone calls.
John
Old 01-16-2005, 10:09 PM

Fridays hunt was a bust, the only birds I saw were on the side of the road on my way back home. I did hit those pine woods hard. found some droppings where they roosted and tracks along a small stream. I made a mental note of the area. Monday will be a whole new ball game as to the fact that they have training going on so not all areas are available on any given days. So, will have to try and locate them in an area I've barely hunted this year. Either way, Thanks for the information and all
Old 01-16-2005, 10:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you find a flock break em up and use a kee, kee run call .
Old 01-17-2005, 10:11 AM

Keep us up to speed on your hunt-nothing like dropping that first bird!
Old 01-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Find the feed and you'll find the birds.Keep us posted.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

You need to get in the woods befor light so you mite get to hear them fly down.Allso right at dark they allso make a lot of noise flying up to roost.

To me it is a visual thing get high as you can if any high ground is there.Spot for feeding hins during the day time they will feed for quite awile in the winter.

good luck
Old 01-19-2005, 08:55 PM

Both Saturday and monday I got in there and was set up behind a blind I made of scrub and branch by the time the sun was just cresting the horizon. Problem was, birds were not there.
Got two more questions tho... I know that in the spring and summer that birds will hang out on the edge of a field when it rains. Does this remain true through out the winter? Also, the fields I was hoping to still have corn on them are pretty much barren now. What other food sources should I be looking for when I'm after them birds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.