Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Spot and Stalk Turkeys?  Is it ethical? >

Spot and Stalk Turkeys? Is it ethical?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Spot and Stalk Turkeys? Is it ethical?

Old 01-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Spot and Stalk Turkeys? Is it ethical?

Ever since I started turkey hunting past in grade school, I always killed a majority of my birds by spotting them and then stalking them. Most of the turkeys on my WEBPAGE are from this method. The turkeys around here seem to be call-shy majority of the time, regardless of how good a caller you are. But I've also been put down by other hunters saying stalking turkeys is unsafe and un-ethical because somebody else could always be tresspassing on the land you're hunting, which could put you in the range of a gun. I've only do it on private land, where I only have access to it, and to me is just as exciting and probably even more of a challenge(depends of situation) than calling birds in. What's you're take on it? Why do people view spot and stalk so much different than hunting deer, when rifles even have a longer range?
Old 01-06-2005, 02:50 PM

Default RE: Spot and Stalk Turkeys? Is it ethical?

If you are hunting private land I don't see it being a big risk,throw on some blaze orange and you should be OK. I have a hard time thinking you should limit yourself based on the posibility of a poacher. As far as is it ethical? Hell yeah! I haven't done any turkey hunting, but I can't see it being easier to sneak up on a wild animal than to call them into range. Just a different kind of challenge. If what you are doing is legal, safe and humane, don't worry about what another hunter thinks. Be safe, shoot straight, have fun!
Old 01-06-2005, 02:54 PM

I never set out to do it, but I have snuck up close to turkeys in the field and try to call them over close for a shot.

Hal
Old 01-06-2005, 03:45 PM

You stand the risk of 'walking' into somebody else's line of fire is you stalk but otherwise I enjoy stalking as well. I always make sure it is on private property and that nobody else is hunting in the area-beats sitting and waiting
Old 01-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

i use any method that works i would much rather call them in though when we move ahead of the birds and resetup isn't that aform of stalking?
Old 01-06-2005, 06:50 PM

I agree with the other posts, I don't think it's unethical. Remember, your taking the game by fair play and under fair standards. Those who don't agree can't sneak up on them and feel that they are missing out on something.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. If anyone has hunted spring turkeys long enough, you know that on some days your going to try to have to get closer or try to circle and cut them off. Nothing "unethical" about doing that at all, that's turkey hunting!!! The problem is when some people stalk "hen" sounds!!! That is asking for trouble, or worst yet, risk getting shot!!
Old 01-07-2005, 07:43 AM

How is that unethical?? Its legal. These people are telling you its easier to sneak/stalk within shotgun range of a turkey than to call a turkey in to a still hunter???? BS.
Im just getting sick and tired of people ranting and raving and calling certain LEGAL hunting methods unethical just because they prefer to do it another way.
If you can consistantly stalk and shoot gobblers then you are a good hunter. IMO.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I definitely wouldn't say it was unethical but it certainly cheapens the experience for me personally. I am different than many in this regard. I prefer to take whitetails treestand hunting with a bow and I perfer to call up my turkeys and I don't derive as much satisfaction from doing it any other way. That being said I have known a lot more people that were able to consistently sneak up on turkeys and shoot them than I have that were able to consistently kill them calling. I personally just don't think it takes much skill to sneak on them as it does to call them. JMO
Old 01-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ethical or not, its not legal here.

Quick Reply: Spot and Stalk Turkeys? Is it ethical?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.