Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need help on a new gun

Old 12-14-2004, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need help on a new gun

Now my big concern is should i buy a pump, or an autoloader.......what advantages does the autoloader have...if i get an autoloader, should it be the benelli sbe2, or the winchester autoloader.

If i go with the pump, it will be the winchester 1300 nwtf super short turkey. My only concer though is will i lose some fireing range with only an 18 inch barrel
Old 12-14-2004, 02:12 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I went from the Benelli Super Eagle back to my Remignton SP 11-87 and added a slug cantelever barrel and a monarch Nikon scope. Is a very short gun

Now I am set and will use the Benelli strictly as a back-up but it has been really designated for just waterfowl.

I prefer a semi-auto over a pump. The auto will keep you on a runnin' bird (heaven forbid) better than a pump will. Unless you are particular to pumps and can use them well.

JW
Old 12-14-2004, 02:58 PM

Ive always just used regular shoguns for turkey hunting not a decked out "turkey" gun. for me ive shot fine just using a remington 870 with a matte finish. Ive really liked that gun i dont find semi autos neccesary but thats just a matter of opinion, i figure if you miss with the first shot the turkey will be gone so fast anyway it wont matter if its semi auto or not.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have hunted with an 870 super-mag since it was first made. I have most of the factory camo worn off the pump, and have tried about 5 different chokes. It never fails me. Last year I stuck a red-dot scope on it, just for a change of pace. I fell in love instantly.

I did always wanna try the 11-87 SPS-T. My buddy bought one, and it shoots like a demon, but the thing weighs 90 pounds. The scope has busted his eye 3 times now.

As of right now, I am content with my 870 super w/red dot scope - but the thing is: I don't even shoot 3 1/2" shells out of it, as they don't quite pattern as well.

Bottom line, if you wanna tinker with it, I would recommend the 870 super - it's so versatile, there's all kinds of chokes readily available, it's light, it's rugged.