Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 3 birds one shot (bad hunter) >

3 birds one shot (bad hunter)

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

3 birds one shot (bad hunter)

Old 11-12-2004, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default 3 birds one shot (bad hunter)

I know this guy.. went out turkey hunting.. called in this tom 9 1/2 inch beard 2 inch spurs. big big bird.... it was with a group of hens.. he shoots the tom.. goes to it.. looks behind it.. and a hen lay also.. he grabs her ... then hears something flappin behind it... and another hen lay.. he got 3 birds one shot.. i don't think this was safe.. rule #3.. be sure of you target and beyond.. he obviously didn't know what was behind it
Old 11-13-2004, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 3 birds one shot (bad hunter)

yeah he should of waited for sure......i would of put my boot in his butt for sure.....
Old 11-13-2004, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like a guy i know he killed 3 deer with one shot from his 30-06, he had tags for all of them but we spotted a doe on the edge of his field he had 2 antlerless tags and 1 buck tag I only had a buck tag. I noticed other deer behind it he didnt, just as I was saying hold up theres deer behind it....... KABOOM!!!!!. the doe in front drops on the spot the other two behind it fall but are flopping around like fish outta water. we go down to finish the other 2 off turns out the 3 deer were a young doe a mature doe and a 4 corn buck. funny thing was earlier that morning my friend kept saying if he sees a doe he'll take it but he wanted to sit on the buck tag untill he saw a trophy so much for him lol he kept bugging me all the way to the check in station, dude tag that buck with your tag.....PLEASE!!! I was like heck no and then that eveing I bagged a nice non typical 11 point with a awesome bread basket with a 21 inch spread.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

Lose your licence and get fined for that mistake where I'm from. That's just irresponsible. Had a post in the deer hunting forum where a young kid shot his first deer, a doe, and hit the fawn standing behind. Board ripped him apart even after admitting he was wrong and had learned a valuable lesson.

Your buddy should read that thread to see what hunters think of that kind of behaviour.

Don't THINK it was safe??????? How about if it was another hunter in the area all camo'd up against a tree?

Man, that's just bad [:'(]
Old 11-19-2004, 05:22 PM
HUA

hope he didnt try to get others to give him their license to save his butt. Some of my best hunts where the long wait for that perfect "SAFE" shot.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:14 PM
bigcountry

If a hunter has never made a mistake, he don't have much experience and sounds like a computer hunter. Same as a nascar driver never having a wreck. None of us are perfect. But sooner or later, you can make a mistake. I know I did as a kid. Sounds to me like a freak occurance that I could see happening in the right (or wrong) situation. Everytime something like this is posted, all the know it alls and big "experts" get up and start blasting people. I have found that these people are the ones that have made the most mistakes.

Got a guy I work with who is a big know it all, always acts like he does everything right. Just happen to go to his uncle for taxidermy work (just coicidence), and he was telling me the stupidest things this guy has done. Like shooting black ducks thinking they were gatwicks, forgetting his chokes in his shotguns, shooting does accidently during buck season, and on and on. I couldn't wait to get back to work, and as soon as know it all starts blasting, I give up everything. We had a good laugh. He's a tad humbled.

Old 11-21-2004, 07:05 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-21-2004, 11:20 AM
bigcountry

You got it Edward. About 20-22 years ago, I shot a doe in Ky during buck season, my grandfather beat the crap of me. Kept asking why? I can't remember if it was intentional or not, but either way it didn't fly for my grandfather. He knew I was so jazzed up, that it had to be intentional. I have to admit, that mistake never happened again. I have trouble knocking down one turkey, never mind 3.

Old 11-23-2004, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

Just read Memphis Mike's post. I don't know the circumstances of how he was shot but what if it was another hunter like Mike on the other side of that Tom.

Just had a discussion with a 67 year old trapper/hunter and his trapper/hunter son. Combined hunting experience well over a hundred years. I'll reference them bigcountry as both don't use computers and can't be classed as a computer hunter. Both agreed many mistakes and stupid moves over the years. Both agreed however that those mistakes never put other people at risk. Pulling the trigger is just too darn serious.

I had a buddy in my first year of hunting pass on a doe that had a big growth on it's neck. It was 10 yds in front of him. well the other hunter 100 yds away didn't see the growth or the big orange blob sitting on the rocks just past it. The first shot smashed into the rocks a few feet from my buddy. He lied down until the guy had shot 2 more times and dropped the doe.

I agree some circumstances...yadda yadda yadda......but man it's serious business and if you do make those mistakes you SHOULD get blasted for them! I can't be so dismissive about it like it's just part of growing up as a hunter. That's crap.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:04 PM
bigcountry

OntElk, why? Who are these hunters to blast. I love going around these chat rooms for the most part, but there are so many big experts that love to hear their mouth run. I would hate to know how many of these big experts have put people in the hospital themselfs. If I was a betting man, I bet a few.

Two, if someone admits to doing wrong, what are you going to help? He's a big man or women to admit a mistake. And maybe help others not make the same one. Some loudmouth coming on doesn't help the situation by belittleing him.

Yep, I understand the danger. My uncle in Ky was shot by a guy from PA during turkey season about 50 yards away while being against a tree. But as my uncle says (68 year old man), hey we got guns in our hands, we are men, we take chances breaking our legs, falling out of tree stands doing this. And for him, its worth it. He's still out htere gobbling every spring. Now 71. Having everybody yell, and email the PA guy telling him how stupid he is ain't going help my uncle or anyone in the future. There's alot they can do. They can become volunteer Firearms safety instructors. Teach other the things that could happen. Chances are the PA guy learned from the mistake.

If anyone thinks this sport has no danger is really fooling himself. YOu know how many people fall out of tree stands a year?

My point is these big blasters have probably put people in the hospital before. The guys admitting and trying to help others and not make the same mistake, I doubt ever put someone in the hospital.

Quick Reply: 3 birds one shot (bad hunter)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.