Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What gun for me...

Old 10-31-2004, 07:59 PM
TAC

Default What gun for me...

Hey y'all!
I'm looking forward to turkey season next spring, but need some advice as to a gun. I have never fired a shotgun, but my husbands 30-30 feels like a cannon to me. I use a .243 for deer hunting and like it fine. What shottie would work for me, keeping the above in mind. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What gun for me...

under resonable ranges you can use a 16 or 20 gauge. As for a gun, whatever fits you best.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:26 PM
TAC

Thanks, KB!
Anyone else??
Old 11-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tac... if you are looking for an effective shotgun with minimal recoil, a gas operated auto in 20 gauge would be an excellent choice... My wife has a Remington 1100 LT20 that she has shot several big gobblers with...It's effective out to a range of about 30 yards and the recoil is very mild... There are a number of buffered, copper plated 20 gauge loads on the market today that help the 20 gauge to be an effective turkey load....
Old 11-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a bakail mp 153 that is a 12 gauge auto that handles 2 3/4 - 3 1/2's. The gun is heavy, but even with the roman candles in it, the recoil is not bad at all. Can get a new one for $320 or so. Great on turkeys.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:52 PM

Hi. relatively new on here, but I agree with Pygmy. 20 auto, with a good new style gel recoil pad will be easy to handle. Use a lighter load and concentrate on your hunting, work em in till you could use a knife, then go ahead and use the gun.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:25 PM
TAC

Good enough!
Thanks, y'all!