Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hunter Orange

Old 03-05-2002, 09:09 AM

Default Hunter Orange

I was just looking at some of the turkey hunting regs for different states.The only ones requiring hunter orange were PA and Hawaii.How do you PA guys like this law?
Have they done any studies to see if it has reduced accidents?
Old 03-05-2002, 09:30 AM

Default RE: Hunter Orange

For the spring season you have to wear 100 sq inches while moving. Once set up at your calling location you can remove it. I personally don't have a problem with it. Safety should be first. From what I've read the PGC says the number of accidents has continued to drop since the the law was introduced. I believe it is a combination of that and increased hunter education classes along with organizations such as the NWTF.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:02 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-05-2002, 11:58 AM

Like you guys, I carry a orange vest and hat and put them on while moving and take them off once TOTALLY setup. I've used my orange hat to also flag off a hunter or two that wonders by. This is not required in Nebraska but I hunt public land.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:09 PM
Spike

I always carry an orange hat with me. If I know other hunters are in the area (public land) or I've shot my gobbler, I put the hat on while I'm moving around. If you're moving around the color of your hat or vest is not a big deal. Turkeys are likely to see the movement no matter what you're wearing. On the other hand, hunters who rely on color vision will be more likely to see the orange color. I'd rather spook a bird than get shot with a load of #4's.

Hunt Safe!
Old 03-05-2002, 12:53 PM

a few years back Mo. asked for volunteers to wear the orange to see if it would ease on the accidents and at least one of those in the study were shot while moving mistaken for a gobbler head.the state did not ask for volunteers for the next year,so the study must not have worked out to well,i personally dislike the idea of wearing orange i would rather blend into the woods and take my chances,and when i kill my bird it goes in my vest where it is unseen and the i hit the open where hopefully i am not mistaken for a live bird.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:35 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-05-2002, 03:38 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-05-2002, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

In my opinion, there is never a reason for a hunter to be "accidentally" shot during spring gobbler season. Here in PA, it is illegal to even stalk "turkey sounds" (check the game laws). Therefore, there should be no fear of using even something like a gobble calls on public land.

However, because PA is as rich in "slob hunters" as the roads near Pittsburgh are in pot-holes the turkey stalking still occurs on a regular basis. I know I have almost been shot on at least two occasions. I suspect that before long we will actually have to post an orange band within a few feet of our calling location much like we have to do in the fall here. And it will be for no reason other than ignorance to game laws and a lack of proper target identification on certain hunters' part.

Just my $.02 worth...
Old 03-05-2002, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ITS NOT REQUIRED IN WASHINGTON, BUT A GOOD I DEA TO USE IT WALKING TO AND FROM WHERE YOU HUNT.

Quick Reply: Hunter Orange

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.