Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Decoys or Not?

Old 02-22-2002, 09:18 PM

Default Decoys or Not?

Alot of people I talk to favor em' some are the opposite. Do you guys(or gals) use decoys. And if so how is your setup. I use 1hen 1jake but get tired of carrying them. Are they a neccessity?
Old 02-22-2002, 10:28 PM

Default RE: Decoys or Not?

i also use a hen and a jake. i wouldnt set up any other way if i have the time. i like to set my hen at about 20 steps and my jake at 30-35. i like to use that at as a gauge to know how far the bird is from me.one time i had a long beard come in and totally ignore my hen because he was so busy struttin around the jake(almost completely knocked the jake down) anything that gives me help i use but i know what you mean about having to keep them shoved down in your vest all day!!!!
Old 02-22-2002, 11:06 PM

If you are tired of carrying them leave them home.You can kill just as many without decoys as you can with them.

H.A.D.D.
Old 02-22-2002, 11:41 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-23-2002, 05:00 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-23-2002, 05:32 AM

I use the FeatherFlex line of decoys, they fold up nicely in my vest and are no extra weight at all. I will use 4 or 5 decoys on a set-up before daylight, and usually 2 or 3 on a bird that I am trying to move on. I always use one jake decoy and the rest are hens. I always set the decoys within 20 yards of me unless I am hunting somewhere that I am afraid of another hunter moving on them. Always face the jake decoy at you. Most toms will move on the jake and try to go head to head with it, making the tom turn his back on you giving you ample time to aim. It has been my experience, that when I hunt without a decoy and I have a tom coming in looking, he will see the slightest bit of movement as he looks for the hen that you are imitating. This has led to more than one bust by a tom, so starting out, I would suggest you use a couple of decoys. Good Luck!
Old 02-23-2002, 05:37 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-23-2002, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like them in the morning.
Old 02-23-2002, 06:26 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-23-2002, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Different times I've seen different reactions. Killed my first bird with a jake and a hen decoy out. He did a real song-and-dance number when he saw them. The next week another bird alarm putted when he saw the same set-up. Went back the next weekend with 2 hens and got him in real close. Then again, I've called 'em in without any decoys at all.

They don't weigh anything. If you don't use them they give you extra padding on your back when setting up.

It all comes down to personal preference.

Romans 8:28

Quick Reply: Decoys or Not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.