Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Decoys or Not?

Old 02-23-2002, 08:49 AM

Default RE: Decoys or Not?

I always use a hen and jake decoy. It has seemed to work well for me.

"Playing under the table and dreaming"
Old 02-23-2002, 10:48 AM

Wow what a hot topic. If you’re going to use them, use them safely, wisely, and do not rely on them. Put traditional techniques such as calling, stealth, and positioning a head of decoys. Personally, I think the decoy use has gotten a little bit out of hand lately. Ever since the beginning of time we have been told not to bring the colors of red, white, and blue into the woods. Yet every one is toting around red white and blue headed decoys and placing them 20 yards or so away in plane view???. Some people are putting out whole flocks. A beginner hunter asked me once ..what kind of decoy he should buy, I told him that he might what to think about buying a call first. I know that decoys have been used for years and even by the Indians, but I would just like more hunters to try not using them. There’s nothing like calling in a bird that didn’t come running because he saw your decoy, he came running because you knew how to position yourself, make the right call, choose the right call, and camouflage yourself. I think the NWTF or states need to launch a study that investigates their use and if they are contributing to accidents, no such data exists today. If they aren’t contributing to accidents, I don’t see any reason to outlaw them. My suggestion to beginners is to try not using one, then limited yourself to hen decoys, if you cant kill a turkey with those tools, then you’ll just need to suck it up and wait for next season. I have been hunting for 15 years and have never used one. I hunt several states every year, usually with great success. AL, OR, NY, and PA this year.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:29 PM

Well said, ttracker. Decoys should be well down the list below calling, knowledge of area, and knowing when to move on a bird. If you can't leave them in the truck and hunt with confidence, then you are relying on them too much. I personally don't use them, but that's not to say I never will. Especially if I ever find the time to pick up a bow again.

If you hunt out of state, then make sure you check the regs. I know they are illegal in Alabama.

No jakes!
Old 02-24-2002, 02:23 AM

I've used decoys about 5 years now, but I'm not sure I'll be carrying any this year. Plenty of birds get killed each year without them; I've done it myself.

I've seen situations where they appear to work magic, but I suspect those gobblers (2 yr. olds) would have committed anyway. No way to prove the decoy is what did the trick.

They've hurt my chances several times, in large-field situations. The toms stopped in the middle of the field, out of range, when the decoys were spotted. Got to see plenty of strutting, but the gobblers got suspicious when the decoys didn't meet them in the middle. Those situations always ended the same- the toms went back in the direction they came from. Shouldn't be a problem this year, since I'll be hunting mostly forested areas with few openings large enough for that scenario.

Please be careful about your setups if you use them, especially jakes. And don't think you're at zero risk if you hunt private land.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a "H.A.D.D." member here also!To me decoys are just like a lot of other topics we discuss here "a matter of choice".If decoys make you a more confident turkey hunter than use them.What bothers me is theres alot of new innovations that have come out over the last 10 years or so with the growing popularity of turkey hunting.And with this comes the idea that if we dont carry,use, or have some of these things than we're not as successful of a hunter.I've been killin turk's for over 25 seasons without the aid of a decoy.I agree with 10 bore,put more emphasis on your set-up,scouting,and just over all woodsmanship and you wont need one or two or three or how ever many you haul around the woods with ya.We all have our own style so to speak when we chase ole tom turkey mine is just without the aid of a decoy cause it works for me.If you feel you have to have one than maybe you should,but i can assure you they aren't a absolute neccessity in the turkey vest.
Old 02-24-2002, 05:51 PM
Spike

The answer to your question is absolutely no, decoys are not neccessary. Been chasing these ole toms for 30 plus years and called in hundreds without the aid of decoys. I have hunted with other guys that use them on occassions and have seen about an equal number of gobblers spook on the decoys as were attracted by them. Jakes and 2year olds are the ones that seem most vulnerable with the older toms being very leery.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Like every other part of turkey hunting decoys seem to have a time and place. I like to use decoys, as far as older birds not buying the fakes, I have to disagree. 2 of the last 3 birds I shot over my fakes have scored 74and3/8 and 73 respectively. Those birds had awsome hooks and obviously been aroung the block a time or two. Go with your gut feeling in the situation you're in. Me, I'm sticking with my fakes.
Old 02-26-2002, 03:31 PM

Here in mo. a lot of people use them but i personally don't like to use them it keeps me stuck in one spot plus i have enough other stuff to carry without messing with decoys while my brother would never leave home without his and on occasion i am sitting beside him when he happens to be taking a nap and i just dearly love taking target pratice on his beloved decoys just to see how tough they really are, but man does it piss him off, but he is taking less naps when he hunts with me
Old 02-26-2002, 04:11 PM

Sounds like a few of you all seem to think that if you use a decoy, that you "rely" on them. Well, nothing is further from the truth. The use of decoys, or not, doesn't make the hunter, nor does it make the hunt any less than it is. I use decoys, use them frequently, but, I am far from relying on them. Anyone of us with just a shred of common turkey hunting sense knows, that nothing is a given, especialy when turkey hunting. I do use a "flock" a time or two in the season. I also carry jake decoys with me. But, I am also careful about how they are carried and setup through and in the woods. How stupid do you think I am? I know accidents happen, but I also make an extra effort to avoid any accidents at all times. A 20 yard set-up is not dangerous if done properly. If I am hunting alone, I don't always take decoys with me. When I hunt alone, I hunt public land, adds to the challenge, and alot of the times, I am successful. I save my private spots for others that want to take a bird and learn. Usually it is for my wife, or my nephew, or some kid that I'm trying to introduce into hunting the right way. If I remember correctly, the original question was about the use or not of decoys for a hunter, and, if they are needed. In which case, is of opinion and situation. I don't think it is right to judge the ability of other hunters for using decoys or not. Big birds are taken with decoys. I have never taken any tom less than 20 pounds. And the only difference between a 2 year old, 20 plus pound tom, with a 10 inch beard, inch and a quarter spurs and a 4 year old the same size, is age. One may be a little less experienced with hunters, but it is still a trophy in damn near all of our books. Nobody knows the age of a bird until taken anyway. So I doubt any of you "age" a bird before you shoot. I am sure that when you see a decent length of beard, you take him. So lenght of time working one would not determine a birds age, just his character. And the character of turkey hunters who use decoys should not be questioned either.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:32 PM

wouldn't be without them!

Quick Reply: Decoys or Not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.