Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

All day hunting

Old 05-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default All day hunting

The season is now over and I was wondering what people thought about the last 2 weeks of the season in Va going to all day hunting. I have never hunted turkey after 12:00. After I eat some lunch and then go fishing or something I see birds in the fields. It seems like it is unfair to hunt turkeys in the afternoon. What are some views on this?
Old 05-18-2004, 11:02 AM

Default RE: All day hunting

I wouldn't want to disturb the nesting hens.
One time I was packing out a nice gobbler just about 12:00 and sure enough, I flushed a hen...checked her area and saw about 10-12 eggs. I left immediately.
I wanted to check later that summer to see if there would be egg shells indicating a hatch, but I never got around to it.

Aren't there some plains states that offer all day hunting?

sounds like it would be lots of fun as long it didn't interfere with the biological health of the turkey population.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:16 AM

We hunt all day in nc bad part is you have the tendancy to over do it and hunt too hard and too long then the end result is you are fatiged and burned out by the end of the season. On the other hand have lots of birds talking between 1and 3 O'clock. Also you can take some nice toms when they are gathering their hens to go to roost.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you on the over hunting. A lot of the guys around Southhampton did not like the idea of all day hunting so I did not even go. I did not want to make anyone mad.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The two states i hunt in are Kentucky and Ohio, you can hunt all day in kentucky, but you can only hunt till noon in ohio. While i was hunting the two weeks in kentucky on the farm i hunt and camp on i only hunted till noon anyway. It just got too hot and it seemed like such a long day, however in ohio the birds started gobbling around 1100a.m which only gives u an hour to harvest your bird, i dont know of anyone who hunts religiously all day for turkey, maybe deer, but not turkey. Evening times are also good to score a nice bird after a nap and some lunch, it seems like your rejuvenated and on top of your game. Cant wait till next year!

"ALWAYS LEAVE THE WOODS WITH SOMETHING"
Old 05-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

We can hunt all day here in Iowa and I love it. Evening hunts have proved to be just as good as alot of mornings for me.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:03 PM

Here in WI you can hunt till 5 p.m.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think any time is good in Iowa