Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Both VT tags are full now......... : ) >

Both VT tags are full now......... : )

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Both VT tags are full now......... : )

Old 05-17-2004, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Both VT tags are full now......... : )

Well this year has been a great year for me so far. I just moved back to New England after spending the last 8 years in PA. I haven't had the opportunity to do much turkey hunting in the last 5 years, however decided that if I was going to move that I was going to make time for it season.

I was very lucky and got permission to hunt on the same farm that I grew up just down the road from near Rutland VT, I actually shot my first buck there back in 1992 when I was 12 y/o. It's kind of amazing how the entire area around Rutland changed in the last 8 years, but that farm is exactly how it was when I was there last.

I did a lot of turkey scouting there this early spring, and heard lots of birds and saw lots of sign. Unfortunately I missed the first weekend of season (my girlfriends b-day always falls on this weekend [:'(] ) but got to hunt the following Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I hunted all day Friday, and didn't hear a single gobble. Saturday morning was a different story though..........

I got up late on Saturday, got into the woods at around 5:15 (usually I am in the woods around 4:30, well before light). As I was walking in, I heard one in the distance that was on the side of a mountain. I hiked pretty far up there, and got settled in near the top of a hollow where I thought the gobble came from, setup the decoy, and sat down. I sat for about 5 minutes and then called only to get cut off halfway through by a gobble about 150 yards away by a bird in the next hollow over. I sat for 15 minutes sliently, and then decided that if I was going to reposition on this bird I better do it quick. I got up, and hustled over to just downhill of where I heard the last gobble, and as I was sneaking up on to setup, they heard my footsteps and started gobbling like crazy. There were two of them, gobbling their fool heads off. I setup the decoy and snuggled in at the base of a large oak just on the other side of the hill from them, probably 75 yards away. They let loose again with the gobbles and I cut them off with some hard cutting, and then some very soft yelps. I worked them like this for about 45 minutes or so, finally I threw my calls with my hand behind me to create the effect of the hen walking away from them, and then shut up and listened and watched. 10 minutes later, I see a bright red head pop over the hill, and then 30 seconds later another. The first came right in to the decoy but I wanted to see if I could get a double so I waited for the other. He never came and after about 5 more minutes I decided to take the closest on that was attempting to rape my decoy. Single shot - 25 yards - and he didn't even flop. Here is a quick pic, this is my personal best ever, I know he isn't that big but big enough for me. I bet both of those birds gobbled at least 50 times each.

18lbs - 1" Spurs - 9 1/2" beard

I slept in on Sunday and never made it into the woods, figured I would let the birds settle down a bit while I got some much needed sleep.

Then this weekend, I decided to go back out Sunday. Made it into the woods at around 4:15 and began the long hike up the mountain. Got about halfway up by time it was getting light enough to shoot so I sat down in the same spot I shot the bird the weekend before and just listened. Sure enough after about 20 minutes, I heard one clear up to the top of the mountianfly down and gobble. I still don't know if this was the same birds I ended up getting into though. Anyhow, I hiked up to just before the top, settled down, and let loose a couple of quiet clucks and some purring, and much to my shock multiple birds started gobbling just about 75 yards away from me. I set up the decoy, and ran to a big pine and settled down there. I started calling and it sounded as if there was a herd of them coming.......but it sounded like they were circling me. I re aranged myself to the direction I thought they were coming, and dont you know it, next hting I know I see 4 heads only 12 yards away from me on my left (thank god I am right handed). They saw me turn my head and I saw they were all jakes, and after 15 seconds of both of us being frozen, the one in front started putting. I decided it was now or never, and swung on them, got the last ones head in the circle of my scope, and plastered the back of his head with a load of #4's. He rolled down the hill next to my feet and didn't even twitch. He wasn't big, but it was a great morning and the closest I ever shot a turkey...only about 15 yards. He weighed 15lbs, had double 4 1/2" beards, and almost non existant spurs.

I am hoping to go out next weekend with my girlfriends grandfather. He is handicapped and hasn't gotten a turkey in years, I hope to be able to call on in for him. I think I am just looking for an excuse to hear one gobble again, I have called more in for others that I have shot myself. I just like to work them, couldn't care less who pulls the trigger.

Any others in VT having the same luck as I am?
Old 05-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Both VT tags are full now......... : )

Congrats!

Nice story and pics too

Good luck on your trip next weekend.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go Rick,Nice birds.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

very cool, congrats [8D]