Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Public Land Success

Old 05-12-2004, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Public Land Success

Well this morning, I had the same fellow as yesterday and after he has all ready took his first bird of the season yesterday , we descussed that we would hold out working some of the private lands I have, because of the hunters I still have to come.
We decided to hunt Public Land just down the road.

We moved into the area where I thought would be a good start , away from others about 5:30 came to a spot. Looked it over and decided to walk back 200 yards to a place we passed coming in. As we get to the point A Gobble rings out not far off from the setup place. We shuffled into a great hide out beside a clearing and cleaned it up for a wait.

As we sat the Blackflies were setting up on the most tender spots we had open, Boy I hate them, but the old Cigar trick sure made them caugh

The gobblers started as we heard 3 different gobblers sounding off. A few minutes I can hear Hens yelping so softly. I whispered to Chris and said "Do you notice that the gobblers have quieted after the hens Started?" That to me means the birds are presured Due to calling , I don't think I'll do alot of calling here.

A Few minutes later the hens started to fly out of the trees. To our amazement They land right in front of our setup and guess whats standing infront of us at about 40 yards? A Bearded Hen.

We look over the scene and discuss about maybe taking the hen for Chris's trophy room and I hear a gobble ring out behind us about 100 yards off, I whisper again to Chris- He's on the ground !

As we look at the hens , I turn my head to the right and Wow

There's In Strut at 25 yards looking right at me is a Big fanned Up Gobbler!

I said the chris not to move, as the birds looking right at us , but as soon as he starts to walk , make your move with the gun. The bird then swings to the side and blocks any view of us with his fanned out tail.

Chris swings his gun smoothly and places the scope on the bird. I whisper again to him - Take him when you want. 6:00am again 2 morning in a row at the same time.

We have not checked the bird in as of yet, but I will update the stats when we return...BT
17.4 LB
9 3/4 Beard
3/4 Spurs

Old 05-12-2004, 06:06 AM

Default RE: Public Land Success

Sounds like a great hunt. Congrats!!
Old 05-12-2004, 11:21 AM

There's another dandy bird and Pic to go with it. way to go guys.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I WANT ONE!!!!!
Old 05-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go guys.Sounds like you're havin a ball.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

nice 'un
Old 05-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats, great setup, story, and pic!!
Old 05-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ya'll better take a breath, you're foolin' all the newbies to turkey huntin'....ya'll make it look so dang easy, lol....lots of fun regardless if you get one or not , but still, lol...congrats again to ya'll......
Old 05-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a yet another great hunt!!
Old 05-13-2004, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

..GREAT BIRD,AND PHOTO,S...THANKS ...BT....

Quick Reply: Public Land Success

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.