Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

was it ok???

Old 05-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default was it ok???

Yesterday while turkey hunting I heard another hunter calling not too far away (100-200 yds.). There was no action so I would call from time to time and so would the other hunter. Then, all of a sudden, two gobbles! I moved from my postion to get in a better place to possibly see the turkeys and the other hunter kept calling (too often in my opinion - every few minutes) and the turkeys were still gobbling. Our positions was basically an L shape (me at the bottom right of the L, the other hunter at the botom left of the L, and the turkeys coming towards the other hunter from the top of the L). So I would call a few times inbetween the several calls of the other hunter and the turkeys would sometimes answer me, but they seemed to be headed toward the other hunter. He was calling way too much and I decided to stop calling. Then no more gobbles. Suddenly, behind me were 3 turkeys less than 20 yrds.! They had no noticable red on their heads and no distinguishable beards, so I assumed they were hens. But then they gobbled! I wasn't interested in shooting jakes so I didn't bother trying for a shot and they made their way back from the way they came. After about 5-10 min. there was a shot from the top of the L (from the other hunter who had moved.

My question is - is it ok to try (even though not very hard) and call the turkeys away from the other hunter??
Old 05-09-2004, 04:14 PM

Default RE: was it ok???

I think it would be ok. I would rather be out called then have some one scare a bird im calling.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:16 PM

Be the other hunter and ask yourself that question.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

..i call it fair play..ive did it a couple times..but i do stay my distance away from another hunter..
Old 05-09-2004, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Calling turkeys away is one thing. That is fine. But I wouldn't try to move to head off another hunter or something. I'd be scared if I could hear another hunter. Luckily I've never had to have the problem but alot of people, like you, have no choice but to hunt public. Do you best to get one in the safest possible manner and good luck.