Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hot as he@*, then what?

Old 05-06-2004, 12:10 PM

Default Hot as he@*, then what?

Where do yall concentrate when it gets hot, like later in the morning, midday, etc. For instance, its about 90 degrees here in Augusta today. What do the birds do when its this hot?
Old 05-06-2004, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hot as he@*, then what?

They moult. They usually get on the edges of open field. They will sit in the shade & ride the breeze. At least that's what I have experienced here in Bama
Old 05-06-2004, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was about 90 degrees where I was hunting earlier this year and we were sneaking up to a pond and we came up on a nice tom. I would guess he was going to get a drink. I think when the weather is hot like that, water holes would be a good place to hunt.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:42 AM

I agree with both yall on that one.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:42 PM
Spike

Water seems to be key in the heat here also
Old 05-09-2004, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tend to aree with the advice , I have seen the same in Texas in the passed aswell.

Ryan Tucker and I killed a Tom in Texas at a watering hole one time. Its a great place to work birds in the later part of the day...BT
Old 05-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off Bubba'
is dress for the occasion!Nothing is more miserable than sweatin to death out there!If its cold you can add more close but hunt someplace like Texas and you cant take enough off occasionally!Lots of bug spray too,hot weather can make them bugs come out somethin fierce!!
As for the the turks,I would reccommend getting real aggressive early!Not only in your calling,but mainly in your set-up.Get close!!!When its hot the birds will be most active early morn and when tempertures rise there activity level drops drastically much more than on average temperature days!The replys are exactly right here the birds will seek shade/water and once found, will loaf in these areas till evening comes and temps start to drop again!!