Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

chufa

Old 05-03-2004, 12:31 PM

Default chufa

Anyone have any exp. planting chufa for turkeys?
Old 05-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: chufa

We've planted it on our hunting club, just follow instructions on the bag, turkeys and hogs love it. If you have wild hogs, forget it, it's to expensive to let the hogs root it up.

dog1
Old 05-04-2004, 06:05 AM

Don't have hogs but I'm told coons are bad to dig 'em up. Also bad to bust up turkey nests and eat the eggs. Nobody hunts 'em around here any more. They also eat a LOT of deer corn.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:15 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-04-2004, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

I talked to the game warden and he told me of a club that planted chufa. They sit by the plot and kill the birds as the come in. He called it "leagalized baiting".

I was thinking of planting some, but this doesn't sound like the way I want to hunt. Plus it has to be replanted every year. I think I'll stick with the clover.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hawgnman

I talked to the game warden and he told me of a club that planted chufa. They sit by the plot and kill the birds as the come in. He called it "leagalized baiting".
Pretty much anything you plant to attract game and hunt over is legalized baiting , I'm still "on the fence" on that isue . Planting persimmon trees or honeysuckle here would have the same effect as a food plot , but is it baiting or just "habitat improvement" ? How about fertilizing mast producing plants and trees ? Both are uncomfortably close to baiting in my book .
Old 10-10-2004, 07:59 PM

When is the proper time to plant chufa if the season starts in mid-march? I am going to have to get somebody to plant it for me and I want to schedule it ahead? Any help will be appreciated. Also, anybody have advice on who to buy the seed from? Thanks...
Old 10-12-2004, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chufa is ok for Southern States , but will not grow in the Northern States. This is a Climate plant and ground temp's need to be right to have it grow right. Cold Climates it won't even germinate. You should be OK in GA ,as temp's are just right...BT
Old 10-12-2004, 08:20 AM

We plant chufa here and it is great for deer as well as turkeys. Glad we don't have hogs as they DO root up the little bulbs. It does come back every year if you plant enough to sustain the deer and turkeys.

It can't be planted unless you are sure that you have at least 100 days of warm weather.

You can read up on it for more details at NWTF website. If you are a member of NWTF, you can get some good deals on chufa and other products to plant for turkeys.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2004, 05:35 PM

Big Al C,
you can plant chufa anytime after your last frost. I tell guys mid-april to mid-july. You would have a bigger window in GA. I think late april to mid june is the best. be sure your man who plants it knows what chemicals he can incorporate with the chufa to help with the weeds. If i can help anymore let me know.
kindest regards,
the chufa man

Quick Reply: chufa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.