Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Two more birds this weekend >

Two more birds this weekend

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Two more birds this weekend

Old 05-03-2004, 11:19 AM

Default Two more birds this weekend

I got two more birds this weekend. The first one was pretty easy, I located him with a few loud yelps, moved within about 150 yards of him, set up and started calling. He came in within about 5 minutes.

The second bird was one of the tough ones. It took me about an hour and a half to get him. I located three turkeys along a bluff about a quarter of a mile away. Two of them were close together; the third was a couple of hundred yards north of them. I couldn't get them to move away from the bluff, so I decided to go in after the two birds. I moved towards them and kept calling They were getting pretty hot, but would not come to me. The third bird had stopped answering, so I assumed he had found a hen. I hunt in the desert in West Texas, so my lease is covered with cacti and mesquite which makes it very hard (and very painful) to stalk anything. Over the next hour I moved within about 60 yards of the two birds, but they would not come out of the brush. I was getting ready to give some soft yelps when I thought I heard a noise behind me. I stayed quiet and listened. It was the other turkey drumming. He had come in silent from about two hundred yards through all that brush! I managed to get turned around without him seeing me, he moved into a opening about 35 yards from me and I let Hevi Shot do its job.

Old 05-03-2004, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Two more birds this weekend

Awesome! Where abouts do you hunt in Texas?
Old 05-03-2004, 01:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Doemasters

Awesome! Where abouts do you hunt in Texas?
My lease is about 35 miles north of Del Rio. From the look of the terrain it is one of the last places you would expect to see turkeys, but they are all over the place out there.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats[8D]