Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 First turkey (pics link) >

First turkey (pics link)

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First turkey (pics link)

Old 05-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default First turkey (pics link)

I shot a longbeard yesterday morning. I had some great assistance from a hunting buddy.

We first heard the bird at 5:50AM He was 400-500 yards away. We set up about 6:00 and started calling. He responded well, but would not come in. We started to notice a difference in the gobbles and then realized there were two birds roosted close together. About 7:30 we here a nearby cluck and I got my gun up but the bird was moving fast and I didn't see a beard. My buddy got a better look at him and decided he was a jake and told me to shoot, but he was behind me. I tried to move into position for a shot, but the jake putted and flew off.

We decide to move about 8:15 and get a little closer, mean while the other gobbler is still gobbling. We eased down a path and started calling again. Same deal the bird, the bird would not move, probably henned up. My buddy backup about 30 yards and called from there. The bird stood his ground. We decided to move down the path even more and get still a bit closer. The path ran east-west and the bird was south of us. He was still gobbling but not moving. I suggest that we stop calling for 5-10 minutes. After 5-6 minutes he gobbles and he is on the move, but he's headed toward our last setup position. When we guesses he was on the path he called again. And the bird was coming and I had to switch the gun over to left-handed. We were about 4-5 yards off the path. I got a peek at him about 30 yards out. At 22 yards I dropped him.

It was a gorgeous bird, nice paintbrush of a beard and ivory spurs. Notice the beard across the receiver of the gun. This is probably the same bird that I worked Thursday and Friday.

Pics at http://www.advanceddesignsinc.com/RN...%20Gallery.htm

Weight 17.5#
Beard 10.25"
Both Spurs 1.125"

A big thanks to Hawglips
Old 05-02-2004, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First turkey (pics link)

love the pics , especially of the two of you....that's what hunting is all about, ya'll both did awesome, sounds like an exciting hunt ....CONGRATS[8D]
Old 05-02-2004, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the great hunt.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

A great hunt with great success. It always seems even more fun when a hunt is shared with family or a friend don't it?
Old 05-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats, you know, hunting turkeys and calling one in on your own is satisfying, but sometimes it's even better with a good friend.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go on a dandy gobbler!!
Old 05-03-2004, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

That's a hell of a Nice Turkey! The bird is pretty nice too![8D][8D][8D]
Old 05-03-2004, 08:13 AM

Jim, it was a great hunt!! I'm still pumped up.

Congratulations again!!!!

Hal
Old 05-05-2004, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

I went this morning and no gobbles. I thought I had a gobble twice, but they don't count.

There were no sign from the creek to stand 4. So I decide to go to the north road. No gobbles and just one dropping at the end of the road.

Going again tomorrow with Jeff.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Hawg,Great pictures,Great bird

Quick Reply: First turkey (pics link)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.