Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

first kill/tape worms

Old 04-30-2004, 10:20 AM

Default first kill/tape worms

Took two of my good friends out this morning to begin their first season of turkey hunting. Day started poorly, overslept and didnt get into the woods til 6:30; but within a short time things changed for the better, i called in a nice bird and in the end my buddy Scott bagged his first turkey, 9 in beard 1 in spurs, about 24 pounds.

When I dressed the bird, I noticed a few tape worms, at least thats what they looked like (about 1.5 inches long, white, sectioned). not alot of them just a few in the body cavity after i removed the birds entrails. everything else looks normal, muscle, organs etc; turkey acted and sounded normal.

I have only cleaned 1 other turkey and was wondering if this is something somewhat normal or is the bird unfit for consumption?
Old 04-30-2004, 10:47 AM

Default RE: first kill/tape worms

I think its pretty normal to find various parasites in or on the birds, consumption shouldn't be any kind of problem at all (unless one was going to eat it raw )
Old 04-30-2004, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: first kill/tape worms

ewy............i was eatin', lol......[:-]