Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 WHATS GOING ON WITH THESE TURKEYS >

WHATS GOING ON WITH THESE TURKEYS

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

WHATS GOING ON WITH THESE TURKEYS

Old 04-27-2004, 10:46 PM

Default WHATS GOING ON WITH THESE TURKEYS

WELL THIS YEAR THE BIRDS ARE ACTING CRAZY!!!! OR MAYBE ITS JUST ME.[8D] IT HAS RAIN ALMOST EVERYDAY SINCE APRIL 21ST. IT HAS BEEM MY EXPERIENCE WHEN IT RAINS THE TURKEYS WILL HIT THE FIELDS. BUT NOT ONE TURKEY IN ANY FIELD? SO I WENT TO SOUTHERN INDIANA TO HUNT DOWN ON MY GRAD PAPS PLACE. ITS WAS RAINING AS USUAL AND NO TURKEYS IN THE FIELDS![][:@] I HUNTED HARD ALL DAY LONG AND NO TURKEYS. SO I LOCATED SOME BIRDS IN THE ROOST EARLY MORNING AND SET UP ABOUT 100 YARDS AWAY. THE TOMS WHERE JUST SINGING AWAY AFTER DAYLIGHT AND WAS STAYING IN THE ROOST UNTIL THEY HAD SOME HENS UNDER THERE TREE. AFTER THE TOM FLYS DOWN HE WILL GO WITH THE HENS TO THERE NEST. THIS IS NOT WHAT I USUALLY SEE!! IT HAS BEEN CHILLY OUT WITH LOTS OF RAIN. SO I CHANGED MY TACTICS AROUND AND WENT OUT TO AMBUSH THEM. I DID NOT TAKE A BIRD YET I HAVE TO TAKE SOME KIDS FIRST. WAS ABLE TO CALL IN 2 BIRDS FOR 2 DIFFERENT KIDS ONE SHOT ONE AND ONE MISSED. I HAVE BEEN HUNTING TURKS FOR A LONG TIME AND HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS BEHAVOR BEFORE.[8D] ALL THE LAND I HUNT ON IS PRIVATE LAND AND IS NOT HUNTED HARD. SO HERE IS MY QUESTION, DOES YOUR TURKEYS GO TO THE FIELDS WHEN IT RAINS? HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A TOM STAY IN THE ROOST UNTIL HE HAS ALOT OF HENS UNDER HIS TREE? THIS IS WHAT IS GOING ON WHERE I HUNT AT. I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE. WEATHER MAYBE? I DONT KNOW??????[][>:] THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND SORRY FOR BEING SO LONG WINDED.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WHATS GOING ON WITH THESE TURKEYS

I can only relate what I have seen them do here , but during heavy rain I see them in the open fields all the time . I was watching some the other day during a heavy rain and they were facing the wind and just standing hunched down , not feeding or anything else .
Old 04-28-2004, 08:30 AM

Default RE: WHATS GOING ON WITH THESE TURKEYS

I can tell you this, right now in bama, these birds arent coming off the roost from anywhere to a hour-2 hours after daylight breaks. You just gotta get to him while its still dark and set up as close as you can without spooking him.