Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

opening day success

Old 02-18-2002, 03:46 AM

Default opening day success

I was wondering how successful everyone usually is on opening day.I think only about 3 years have I killed a bird on opening day.Although Ive been on several other opening day hunts where my buddies killed a turkey...
Old 02-18-2002, 09:44 AM

Default RE: opening day success

I've been turkey hunting for 6 years now and twice I've killed toms on opening day.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:51 AM

I HAVE KILLED BIRDS ON OPENING DAY 4 OR 5 TIMES IN THE LAST 15 YEARS OR SO OF HUNTING TURKEYS. HERE IN SOUTHEASTERN OKLAHOMA THEY CHANGED OUR SEASON TO JUST ONE BIRD ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO, (SAID OUR TURKEYS WERE AT AN ALL TIME LOW). ANYWAY ABOUT THREE YEARS AGO I KILLED A NICE TOM ON THE FIRST DAY AND IT WAS SUCH A LET DOWN!! AFTER ALL THE SCOUTING AND ALL THE ANTICIPATION OF WANTING TO GET INTO THE WOODS TO HUNT I FELT LIKE I WAS SHORT CHANGED. BUT THE NEXT YEAR IT WAS THE LAST DAY OF SEASON BEFORE I CONNECTED WITH A NICE TOM. MUST HAVE WALKED A HUNDRED MILES, HEARD LOTS OF BIRDS AND WORKED AT LEAST A DOZEN. "MAN WAS I TIRED" LAST YEAR I KILLED THE LARGEST BIRD I HAVE EVER KILLED, IT WAS ON THE FIRST DAY OF SEASON IT WEIGHTED 25LBS HAD A 12 INCH BEARD AND 1 1/2INCH
SPURS. AFTER THAT I CALLED IN THREE OTHER BIRDS FOR FRIENDS, SO MAY SEASON WASN'T OVER THE FIRST DAY.
NOW THEY SAY THAT WE HAVE MORE TURKEYS THAN EVER BEFORE, SO THAY HAVE GIVEN US 2 BIRDS FOR S.E. OK. HOPE I CAN FILL BOTH TAGS??????

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US!!!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I was wondering how successful everyone usually is on opening day.I think only about 3 years have I killed a bird on opening day.Although Ive been on several other opening day hunts where my buddies killed a turkey...
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 02-20-2002, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have killed one bird out of 5 years. My first year first hunt!!!!!
Old 02-20-2002, 01:45 PM

The last two seasons my cousin and I have doubled on opening morning. Same area, in fact was only about 20 ft from the tre we had killed from the previous season. besides those two i think maybe 2 or 3 more on opening day.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

MY FIRST AND ONLY YEAR OF TURKY HUNTING SO FAR I TAGGED OUT THE FIRST DAY.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

Only twice in ten year for me.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-21-2002, 01:59 AM

Once in Three years.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:27 AM

I've killed four gobblers in my 3 years of turkey hunting. Three were killed on opening day and the other on the second day of the season, in the same spot I killed the first one the morning before. We get four here in Texas, so I've never tagged out, but I've yet to kill a bird past opening weekend either.

Quick Reply: opening day success

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.