Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

what broadhead to use

Old 04-21-2004, 05:14 PM

Default what broadhead to use

i am woundering what to do this year for turkeys. i have had successe with the shot gun, but after bag'n a few deer with my boy this past fall, i have found the thrill of the bow hunt to be untouchable. i will be useing it this spring for turkeys, but was woundering what to shoot for a broadhead. I currently use the 100gr. Thunderhead Pro series for deer, and love it, but the vital area is bigger to hit, so i was woundering if i should stick with the same, or find a bigger cutting diamiter for the small chest that the tury has. thanks for the info.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:15 PM

Default RE: what broadhead to use

I use a 100gr Spitfire (open on impact broadhead) why I use them, is for years I shot 100gr fixed Muzzy 3 blade broadhead and they would go through the Turkey so fast at times it was hard to find the birds. With the open on impact broardheads the arrows slow down and don't always go through the bird also the Spitfire is making a new Gobbler head that has a round point making it harder to go through the Turkey also I drop the poundage on my bow 10 pounds or so.
Hope this helps Good Luck
Old 04-22-2004, 04:50 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I like the Gobbler Getter from NAP. It is an expandable with a blunt tip. So far all the turks I've shot with it went down and stayed down. The thunderheads will zip right through them and they will run off unless you hit the spine. You should use an expandble of some sort with a large cutting diameter.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:45 PM

try these:turkey broadheads
or
Old 04-22-2004, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the best way to go would be cut on impact. "let it start cutting as soon as it hits."
Old 04-22-2004, 11:39 PM
Typical Buck

This year I switched to the Gobbler Getter from NAP was very impressed with it. The bird I took last week went down on impact and stayed down.