Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What are they doing?

Old 04-17-2004, 11:35 AM

Default What are they doing?

I took a buddy thats new to turkey hunting out with me this morning hoping to show him how exciting turkey hunting is. I took him to my best spot. It was a beautiful calm clear morning. I expected them to be gobbling there heads off. It started getting light and we only heard 2 birds gobble maybe a hand full of times on the roost in the distance. Normally I hear them gobbling there heads off all over the property on the limb in the morning. We saw stray hens wondering around all morning long but no gobblers and no gobbling. If there are so many hens wondering around by themselves then what are the gobblers doing and why aren't they gobbling?
Old 04-20-2004, 05:16 PM

Default RE: What are they doing?

They're at the beginning of the prime mating season now up here and down there they should be going full swing now.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:17 PM

Also get up an hour before sun rise each day and listen for them.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:15 PM

my guess would be one of three things....either they are henned up and have all the "hen" that they want or maybe something spooked them that day or night before or maybe....you just have MY luck
Old 04-20-2004, 07:39 PM

spitndrum I didn't think about that. I guess something like dogs or coyotes or maybe other hunters could have spooked them the afternoon or evening before causing them to head in a different direction and roost on another piece of property.