Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Last weekends gobbler story >

Last weekends gobbler story

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Last weekends gobbler story

Old 04-15-2004, 08:42 PM

Default Last weekends gobbler story

Well...last weekend was a good weekend in one way, and a bad in the other...I saw and heard lots of birds...but didnt get any. I took out two friends that had never been before(that was interesting in itself). I am only 17 and ive been turkey hunting for about 5 years now. All of the turkeys I have killed have been within 20 yards. I have never even thought about past that. Well I decided to go pattern my gun today, this is the first time I ever had. I have an extra full remington choke in my 870. Well, I was kind of upset when i saw 20 pellets in the kill zone at 30 yards. This is because I passed up atleast 5 shots last weekend within 30 yards. If I would have known, I would have got one. Well the story continues. We got into the field late (had to turn around to get my buddys right choke) and they had already come out of roost...except one hen. Set up the decs quickly and I brought her right in within 10 feet of my buddy....he about wet his pants (first timer). No luck there so we crossed the road where I thought the birds were to go. THe land we are hunting hasnt been knowingly hunted for turkeys in a hundred years. It is my buddys but his family never hunted until him, and never turkeys. Well we get across the road and I give a crow call...two gobbles right on top of us...we got into the bushes and concealed and before we knew it...they were right there. Unfortunatly we didnt get set up in a good spot. It turns out that there were SEVEN gobblers in the general area...3 were strutting right in front of us...but there was a bush in the way...so no shot...two others joined...they were at about 30 yards I could see them...but i didnt take a shot. I would have but I wanted my buddies to shoot. Well needless to say...not one of those toms had a beard under 8 inches....and they were VERY large bodied. And also...ive been having dreams about them...as they moved away...i could hear them drumming from 50 plus yards...needless to say...i cant wait until saturday morning to get back up there. WISH ME LUCK!
Old 04-16-2004, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Last weekends gobbler story

that is part of the advantage , knowing your gun's capabilities...i do it every year regardless, lol....i use the same gun and #5 shot , so it should be the same, but i just got to know , lol......good luck come sat
Old 04-16-2004, 08:19 AM

Default RE: Last weekends gobbler story

i have an 11-87 ive killed them at 55 or 60 before. but i take my gun out each year and shoot it to see where im hittin. it is holding a really nice pattern out through 45.
i know how it goes with 1st timers i guide friends and other hunters each spring, u just have to laugh and keep their spirits up if something doesnt go as planed. good luck.