Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 TURKEY CHOKES (IM NEW, please help) >

TURKEY CHOKES (IM NEW, please help)

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

TURKEY CHOKES (IM NEW, please help)

Old 04-14-2004, 09:00 PM

Default TURKEY CHOKES (IM NEW, please help)

I only have 2 weeks of turkey season left and i am looking for a choke upgrade. I currently have a remington super full in my 870 but after letting 7 toms go this past weekend which were out of range i want a new choke that will gain me confidence. I want to make sure i have a dead kill rather than injuring the bird. I was thinking about an upgrade to the VENTILATOR. I have heard great things about the xxx comp n choke but it is a LITTLE pricey for me. Has anyone patterned the ventilator or any other chokes? I was looking at some CARLSON tubes which appear to be replicas of the comp n choke. Please offer suggestions since i need to make a decision quickly. Thank you
Old 04-14-2004, 11:32 PM
Spike

Default RE: TURKEY CHOKES (IM NEW, please help)

Well im kinda new to this myself but i can tell you my wifes got a Tru-Glo strut stopper i think its called and its pretty impressive, didnt break the bak either. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2004, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy of mine has a Strutstopper on his 870 and it shoots very well. I've got an Undertaker which is outstanding as well. Most of the after-market tubes will shoot well with one load or another. The trick is finding that load. Remember, as the choke gets tighter (.665-.660), they'll shoot better with smaller shot. More open chokes,(.670-.665) will usually shoot better with bigger shot.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:26 AM

Spit,
I have the Ventilator in my 870. After significant testing, I have found the best results with Winchester Supreme High Velocity 3 inch loads in #6 shot. I have tried several other loads, including Heavy Shot, and the Winchesters are king out of my gun. Any bird within 40 yards is in deep trouble. Good luck.
Bill
Old 04-15-2004, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have always had good luck with the hastings xfull out to some rediculous ranges.