Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Would you be angry?!

Old 04-05-2004, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Would you be angry?!

Hey guys and gals,
Sunday was my second day of season (and first to hunt). Well, sunday afternoon i went out to some private land, and sat by the landowners barn. I have seen turkey at this corner of the field several times, so i figured i would give it a shot. Well i got out there at 3, and turned on my patience game. Well, I parked my truck right next to the barn (also a bulldozer and flatbed trailer and hay bailer there as well) just because i was lazy and didn't feel like walking. Anyways, about 5:00 rolls around and another guy that has permission to hunt this land pulls up at the landowners house (about 100 yds away). Well I am facing a corner that the turkeys usually go to, and this guy walks right down the fenceline and sits about 40 yards away from this corner! I was upset that he did this, but I didn't want to yell at him, because I saw a tom coming up from behind me. I am guessing he didn't know I was there, But I thought that he would surely see my truck. Anyways this tom came up and fed around a little bit, and this guy of course sees him and starts calling. Well the tom ignores him for awhile and eventually begins to feed his way. I could tell this tom was going to head to this guy, but he was also moving into a good shooting position for me (because now i had to adjust shooting angles since he sat right across from me about 120 yds away) Well finally i get a good shot on the bird and I took him. I know this guy had to be absolutey furious, since this bird was coming to him, but i didn't feel the least bit rude. I was there first, and he didn't take the time to notice my truck (RIGHT BY THE BARN!!) Well he didn't move at all, he just sat there not moving a bit. I walked out there, picked up my bird and proudly displayed him (pretending i didn't know the guy was there) then walked over to my truck and left. I just know he had to be frusterated, but i don't feel bad. What do you think? I will have to have froman post a pic for me, as it is too big and i can't get it any smaller..

He was 20.5 pounds, 9 & 7/8 in beard, and both spurs were 3/4 in.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:03 PM

Default RE: Would you be angry?!

I don't think so,no more than you were when he sat by the fence.
maybe he though the truck was the farmers,who knows.
Just watch where you park your truck,LOL[:'(][8D],just kidding.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd put up some hunter orange on or near the truck next time. That makes the owner's intentions pretty clear. Personally I would've called out to him. If he wasn't being malicious, there's no need to wait until he starts to call, let alone shoot the bird out from in front of him.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

The ONLY reason i didn't call out to him, was because this tom was approaching from behind me. I didn't make this real clear in my first post, but that bird was all over me and i couldn't shoot it because it was between me and him, so i had to wait till it started to actually head towards him so my angle would be better.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

i don't think you have anything to be sorry about...
Old 04-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's the woman's turkey...

Not a bad bird at all...
Old 04-05-2004, 09:10 PM

you had every right to that bird, but the only thing you should be angry about is a football game(s) in Jacksonville FL w. the Gators

JK, great job on the bird
Old 04-05-2004, 11:18 PM

It's eaiser to ask for forgiveness with a turkey in hand - then to deal with bitterness in heart and to be without!!
Old 04-06-2004, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would get a big sticker that says Hunting-Net Turkey Team and display it on the back window, then they would know ! Congrats on the bird, he may not of knew you where there. Sometimes just a whistle can help with notifing your there , but I would not worry about it...BT
Old 04-06-2004, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice bird

Quick Reply: Would you be angry?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.