Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

hung up bird

Old 04-05-2004, 06:44 PM

Default hung up bird

man i went sunday evening and a big ol tom hung up on me......went today he hung up again......this bird will die ..........i'm going to setup on him and don't even call........let him come to the decoy....this bird has been called before...........he was gobbling every breath but hung up at 50 yards.....and just goes the other way....he has no hens with him.....my dad and me are thinking that this bird is 3 to 4 years old...big tom......the bird will die......this bird is a biggin.......
Old 04-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hung up bird

I am not quite sure what type of set-up you are in, but when is he haning up? Right off the roost? Personally, I treat turkey hunting kind of like my school work. I study the birds every opportunity that I get, remembering what they are doing and when, and where they head off of roost or in the afternoons. 75% of the toms that I have killed, I never had to use a call, other than maybe a putt to get them to stick their head up. I was where I knew the bird wanted to be, and that was it. Maybe try setting up a little closer, or if he is out in a field, note where he goes after he leaves your set-up. Are you using decoys? If so try leaving them in the truck. If you are not, try sticking a hen or so out there, you might even try the ol' jake on the back of a hen, which has worked for me in the past. Once you get to know your bird good enough, you won't need your calls, because you will know just where he wants to be, or where he is going to head after the roost. Many times i don't set-up on the birds at the roost, because i know they don't want to come my way, so I will set-up where they will be in the afternoon, and just wait. Patience is definately a big advantage in turkey hunting. Take a book, a lunch, or a pillow(but be careful taking naps!) Good luck and I hope you get this bird! Let us see him when you do!
Old 04-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're hunting with your dad, why dont you try having him hang back 40 yards behind you and do the calling. When he hangs up at 50 for your dad, POW. Never did try this as I always hunted turkeys alone, but sounds like it might work...
Old 04-05-2004, 08:52 PM

SUNDAY I HUNTED by myself........he hung up....he was out in the field at 1:00.......went today had my dad with me........he sat 15 yards behind me....this bird has been monkeyed with.....your just plan smart.......
Old 04-05-2004, 09:41 PM

Hey Bobcat put your Dad behind you about 50yds, let him call a little. Then when that smarta$$ed bird hangs up again you'll be the one hangin him...........from a tree limb! Use a little Alvin York on him!!!!!
Old 04-05-2004, 09:54 PM

HE IS ONE SMART BIRD......HE IS 3 TO 4 YEARS OLD..........DON'T WORRY HE WILL BE DEAD SOON[X(]
Old 04-05-2004, 11:03 PM

Right on brother........................if all else fails pull out the mother of all secret tricks (from T.K. & Mike) a Kee Kee Cackle cluck with a pitch down putt purr combination! LMAO Go Team 6!
Old 04-06-2004, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

Let us know,when he get,s you...just kidding dont sound to me as if you moveing in
close enough,if you get tight with him he will trip over his beard,to get to you...
Old 04-06-2004, 01:57 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-06-2004, 07:20 PM

What you need is a .22-250 haha

Have your dad start 50 yards back and everytime he gobbles your pop should move another ten yards back.

If that doesnt work.....use a fairly high pitched diaphram...and gobble at him. Try to sound like a jake. Might wanna try a kee kee run first.

Most birds will not tolerate that kinda behavior out of a younger bird so he will likely come charging.

Andy

Quick Reply: hung up bird

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.