HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Finally got him today.... pic (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/57899-finally-got-him-today-pic.html)

SpringHillFarms 04-04-2004 09:17 PM

Finally got him today.... pic

It took a bit of patience but I got my first bird of the season today. I've come extremely close on a couple of occasions, particularly yesterday when I called one to within about 20 yards, but the brush was too thick for a clean shot. But today another one came in. From the morning's roost I heard several but none would come my way when they first flew down. I suppose they had business with other hens. I stayed put on a little ridge above a swamp bottom and creek and continued to randomly call, just to let the gobblers know I was still there. About 45 minutes later I heard a gobbler down in the wet bottom gobbling and looking for me. I called to him a few times until he about shook me out of my boots with a thunderous roar no more than 20 yards away. Still, however, I was unable to see him. I waited quietly thinking surely he would move and let me see him strutting by. Several minutes passed and I still saw nothing so I called to him again and got an instant and powerful response from that same nearby spot where he was before. But this time I finally saw him moving slowly from my left to my right and I popped him with a 3 1/2" #5 shot as soon as I could.
He was a good gobbler but his beard was only 8" while his spurs were 1". His next stop will be on my grill one day this week!

JW 04-04-2004 09:28 PM

RE: Finally got him today.... pic

Congratulations!....very nice bird - very nice......beards are nice....long suprs are better! :)

JW!

totoe 04-04-2004 09:33 PM

...WOW..I WISH ARE WEST VIRGINIA WOODS WERE THAT GREEN,NICE BIRD
......THANKS ...:eek:..HEY I SEE A DEER RACK AND SKULL IN THAT PICTURE ALSO
HAD TO LOOK TWICE..:eek:

bobcat 10 04-04-2004 09:33 PM

congrats on the bird..........;):)

SpringHillFarms 04-04-2004 09:38 PM

the deer rack

Yes, I found the skull of the dead buck right near where I shot the gobbler. Thought he'd like to be in the picture, too! ;)

Turkey Gator 04-04-2004 09:45 PM

RE: the deer rack

xtra cool, nothing like getting the virginity out of the way;)

SpringHillFarms 04-04-2004 09:53 PM

If I've lost my "virginity," it's only for 2004! I've killed plenty of birds. I know some girls that wish they could be virgins again with each calender year as well.... ;)

Turkey Gator 04-04-2004 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: SpringHillFarms

If I've lost my "virginity," it's only for 2004! I've killed plenty of birds. I know some girls that wish they could be virgins again with each calender year as well.... ;)
In turkey hunting, virginity is annual;)

Turkey Gator 04-04-2004 09:59 PM

where in ga are you Springhill? thomasville here

SpringHillFarms 04-04-2004 10:06 PM

I live in Albany but my farm is in Terrell County (Bronwood). Thomasville is one of my favorite towns in Ga.