Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 The boy and I scored our first Double (Pics) >

The boy and I scored our first Double (Pics)

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

The boy and I scored our first Double (Pics)

Old 04-04-2004, 08:19 PM

Default The boy and I scored our first Double (Pics)

Two days after I got home from Korea for mid-tour leave was the opening day of turkey season. The wife, being the perfect match for me, let me go out even thou I hadn’t been home in the last six months. So my son and I went out, without scouting, and headed for a draw that I figured would be a good roosting site. We walked down the hill in the dark and stood on the road and waited to hear a bird gobble. As the sun started to rise, the valley went wild. There must have been six or eight birds around us. I knew there were several other hunters signed in the area we were in so I didn’t want to move too much and run into someone else’s setup, so I decide to move to some near by brush and wait for the birds to fly down. I gave a few tree yelps to let the boys know there was a hot girl near by then shut it down for about 30 minutes. After I could tell the birds were on the ground I started to sing my song. It took about another 30-45 minutes before I saw the first head peer above the grass, so I whispered to my son to bet ready because here they come. It turned out to be four jakes, and at first I was a bit disappointed. This is until the thought of a double with my son entered my head; at that point I knew I was going to hammer on of these birds. I had already explained to my son what to do if we had several birds to ensure we didn’t choose the same bird, however I think the adrenaline got the best of him. I was on the left side and the birds were coming in from out left, so I chose the last bird, leaving the other three for my son the pick from. As the reached the decoys I had set out, gobbling and strutting all the way, they started to get nervous. I whispered "shoot" several times, while keeping the last bird in my cross hairs. Finally the boy let one have it, and at that same instance the bird in my scope dropped and starting to flop around. The other birds jumped and flew several feet away before stopping to see what happened. After I realized that my son shot the bird I was aiming at, I quickly looked up and re-acquired a new target, and fortunately my son stayed put and didn’t move. I swung my trusty 835 over and zeroed in on his neck and let it fly. I later ranged this bird with my laser rangefinder and it turned out to be 44 yards. My faithful Mossberg dropped that bird in a flash. I was so excited, to score my first double, with my son of all people. Life just doesn’t get any better than that. The only problem with the whole deal was that my dumb a$$ forgot the camera so we had to take pictures in the back yard. Anyways, I think this was my best hunting trip ever!

Here is some pictures from the back yard

Old 04-04-2004, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: The boy and I scored our first Double

Looking good guys
Old 04-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

Cool. I hope my first double is with one of my boys or my girl. My huntin' buddy will hate to read this, but it can't get any better than getting one with your kid(s).
Old 04-04-2004, 10:02 PM

What a great hunt!!I'm sure you will remember it forever.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

What a nice way to wake up my friend, to see that ya got out and got a quick hunt in and scored a double! Congrats to both of you, and Congrats on your lovely wife for understanding the pride Anthony you have for the sport.
Its the memories that you will never forget, and you just made one that will stick by you for the rest of your live. Congrats Bud, i'm happy for ya...BT
Old 04-05-2004, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to you both.That's a memory that will last a lifetime.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The boy and I scored our first Double (Pics)

That's a great story. To come home and score a double harvest with your son in a matter of days? Congratulations to both of you. I know you'll remember that hunt for years to come.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome Home!

Congrats to you and your son, great birds!

dog1
Old 04-05-2004, 01:21 PM

i'm taking my 7 yr old daughter Saturday, just hope i can keep her still. She became a regular this year in the duck blind, way cool!!
Old 04-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

nice birds. I'm ready for my 1st hunt this year

Quick Reply: The boy and I scored our first Double (Pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.