Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

henned up gobblers

Old 04-04-2004, 01:34 PM

Default henned up gobblers

i am looking for input on calling. i was hunting yesterday and i heard a gobble about 300 yrds away. he was gobbling his head off but would not come any closer for about 5 hours. i dont know why but i would really like to hear some tips on how to bring that gobbler in thanks
Old 04-04-2004, 02:19 PM

Default RE: henned up gobblers

270, some time you can get closer or circle and get on the other side.
you can do as I did last year on one.he would just stay out there and not move.I threw everything I could at him and he didn't get any closer.
I played the hens.kept them as close as I could.I did this for a while and he didn't get any closer.finally I broke out the gobble box.
I hit the gobble box one time and he threw up his head and came in at a fast walk.I shot him at 10 yards on the move.I though he was gonna flog me.
never give up,give them everything you got in youe vest.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

my buddy always works the hens...the last 3 out of 4 birds the hens lead to him...
Old 04-04-2004, 03:26 PM

One trick I use is when I find that the Tom is henned up I'll back away 30 - 50 yards while calling. Then I'll call for maybe 10 seconds from that spot. After this I sneak back to my original position and hush up. Generally either the Tom or the Hens he is with will be curious as to who was calling and they'll come looking for me.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:57 PM

sometimes it's best to go eat breakfast. When the hens are 'receptive', it can be damn near impossible to call the gobblers off, and hens can be hard to draw when they want some lovin' and big boy is putting on a show. Basically the only thing that works on dominant birds when they are henned up is to act like you're another gobbler ready to kick his butt and take his wenches. I like using a full strut decoy (and mounted gobblers work well also i've heard), fighting purrs, and gobble shakers. I have a bid dominant bird i will hunt in a day or so, and i may not even yelp, or not more than once. A hen decoy and strut decoy i hope will work, he's kicked my butt for 2 years (i'm pretty sure it's the same bird) as he will not come to calls.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:15 PM

Hey, Im gonna have to agree with Dan on this one but another thing is to make sure that you dont have an obsticle between you and the bird. Birds are hesitant on crossing fences creeks and the such, especially the older one that will play hard to get, but if this happens i would just use the technique dan suggested. Just be patient that will help more than almost anything, there is always next weekend. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2004, 09:28 PM

the obstacle thing is a true statement, i had 5 gobblers on my neighbors property this am and a grown up fence row kept me and my guest from getting a gobbler, but oh well, they range back and forth, and next time they may be on my side... In my neck of the wodds, the kens are hot now, and its hard to get them to move to anything, even a sack of corn

just kidding about the corn[8D]
Old 04-05-2004, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

My second bird this season was hung up. It was 10:30 when I first got on him. I ended up circling around to a higher point on the same ridge as he was. It was hot, I was give out from the trek, but it was worth every agonizing moment. I took him @ 11:45. Don't ever give up on 'em if their gobbling. Just remember: On a gobbling bird, always move as close as you think you can without bumping him minus a hundred yards.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:06 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I'm with Huntma, work the hens. Call very frequently, very lould and very aggressive. If you can get a hen talking to you just call back to her the same way she calls to you. A majority of the time she will get irritated enough to come looking for you and the the tom will follow.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Need ya' to answer a few answers first:

1) Are you positive about distance?

2) How close to sunrise did you first hear this bird?

3) Have you patterned these birds at all?

4) Was there any other gobbling, from different birds, in the area?

5) The most important---what was between you and the birds?

I ask all these questions, because they all lead to possible answers...

If he was in a field with ladies, then your options may be limited. If there was a considerable amount of woods between you & him, then surely after the first hour I would be up and on the move. Best way to move in on a bird that's extremely vocal is to get him to gobble, move, then while on the move hit him with some locator squawks to determine he's stayed put. If you yelp while you're closing the distance, that sometimes is more than enough, and you'll bump your bird...better to use the locators...

Don't be dismayed. From the sounds of it, probably nothing short of a freight train or a hot live hen was going to make this boy leave his strut zone...

S&R

Quick Reply: henned up gobblers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.