Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Pre-Season Baiting Turkeys >

Pre-Season Baiting Turkeys

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Pre-Season Baiting Turkeys

Old 04-03-2004, 08:36 PM

Default Pre-Season Baiting Turkeys

Around where I live, its illegal to put out corn for turkeys. A lot of people do and say its for deer. Another lot do it just because their neighbors are, and they have to try and keep up. I have never really seen what was wrong with doing it before season as long as all the corn is gone by opening day. Hunting over bait or in a baited area is definetly wrong. What do ya'll think about doing it before season just to keep turkeys fed through end of winter and hanging around your property?
Old 04-03-2004, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pre-Season Baiting Turkeys

..Myself i never have,but ive took turkeys where corn in small amounts had been slung around and turkeys were everywhere...
Old 04-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

I'd never given it much thought until I read a post on here that there were virtually entire turkey populations that have been wiped out in areas due to bacteria found in low quality suppliment feed, like deer corn, cracked corn, etc. If I remember correctly, deer weren't affected by the bacteria and neither were farm raised poultry, but it was devistating to wild turkeys. I can't remember the post, but I think it was in the deer hunting forum.

I have a problem with a lot of the guys in my HC putting out corn year round. They don't think about us turkey hunters and "are trying to help the deer." I wish they'd learn how to run a tractor and actually plant something!! I've made the suggestion. If there weren't so many quality turkeys on the place, I'd find a different HC all together. That and there aren't but a couple of us turkey hunting the whole 2300acres.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:42 PM

there were virtually entire turkey populations that have been wiped out in areas due to bacteria found in low quality suppliment feed, like deer corn, cracked corn, etc.
Corn can be toxic to turkeys also there isn't much nutritional value in it. Plant food plots such as winter wheat,chufa,sourgum,lentils, ect. They are much better for the birds and are a legal source of food and can be hunted over.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

Gobbling buck,

Recommend to your members that they could plant rye patches, both deer and turkeys like it. If you'll send me an email address I'll send you photos to prove the turkeys love it.

dog1
Old 04-04-2004, 03:53 PM

Corn is toxic to turkeys? C'mon, turkeys have been browsing in corn fields for as long as corn has been grown, how is it toxic? There definately is better choices ie chufas, milo, etc., but how is corn toxic? Is it something to do with being bagged, dried, and stored?
Old 04-04-2004, 04:48 PM

Thats gotta be true. It can't be the corn thats toxic. It would have to be something that happens in the gathering,packaging, and storing process that would make it toxic. Do they add some type of preservative? There is no way that just corn itself is harmful to turkeys.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Pa.baitin is illegal.Any thing considered bait has to be removed 30 before the openin day or that area 300yds in each direction is illegal to hunt.I think one of the biggest problems with puttin corn or any other feed out for turkey is it consentrates a large # of birds into a small area and also concentrates large amounts of droppins in that small area.The droppins are what carry large amounts of parasites.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

Recommend to your members that they could plant rye patches, both deer and turkeys like it. If you'll send me an email address I'll send you photos to prove the turkeys love it.
Thanks dog1. We do have a few rye patches planted and there is an abundance of turkey sign in them. Matter of fact, that's where myself and the turkey in my pic were headed when we met. But the guys in the club insist on putting out corn to help the deer. I just wish they'd take the time to plant some spring/summer crops to help all the wildlife. I don't have the equipment, but have volunteered my time to help plant. So far, no takers. If I can ever get a disc for my 4 wheeler, there will be some secret plots that pop up on the place. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind sharing, but there will be a lot of guys that will never find them because they don't stray from the roads that are on the club.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:26 PM

The birds survived millions of years through frigid winters and will continue to do so without supplemental feeding. It does more harm than good

Quick Reply: Pre-Season Baiting Turkeys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.