Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How do I field dress a turkey? >

How do I field dress a turkey?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How do I field dress a turkey?

Old 03-29-2004, 09:02 PM

Default How do I field dress a turkey?

i am new to turkey hunting. i have deer hunted for several years and can field dress a deer, but i would not know where to begin on a turkey. could you guys help me out on this one?
Old 03-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How do I field dress a turkey?

this would come in handy for me too! i am not sure if it's like other birds or a little different...
Old 03-30-2004, 04:08 AM
JW
Super Moderator

At the base of the bird's breast you make the cut.

Feel for where the breast bone stops and the stomach muscle starts. This is the soft area that a small cut can be made but not too deep. I slice from the base of the breast bone just short of the annus. Don't cut into the vital area but just slice the skin. You shold be able to pinch this skin and it will help you on how deep to cut.

Innards can be then pulled out with very little mess.

As stated before as I forgot to add it....I do carry ice packs that if it is hot I shove into the cavity to cool the bird quickly.

this is how I clean a turkey and I usually do this quickly if I do not need to register the bird. If i do I do gut it after registration or do this as I don't have to gut it.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=579399

JW!
Old 03-30-2004, 11:09 AM

Alright guys here it comes!

I don't breast or skin a bird like some guys. I like my turkey to look like one from the grocery store when I put it in the freezer. So here are the steps. First thing is to get a 5 gallon plastic bucket, you can get these anywhere for a couple of bucks. Next fill up pans with water on the stove and start heating the water to a boil. You want enough water in the pans to fill the 5 gallon bucket at least 2/3 full. While the water is heating on the stove you need to find a place to hang the bird by his feet. A rope with slip knots on each end works great. Once the water is almost to a boil, turn off the the stove and pour the water from the pans into the bucket. Now it time to dip the turkey. Now it is very important not to leave him in the water to long(Max 3 minutes). Turn the bird head down while holding his feet and imerse him head first into the bucket of water( make sure you tuck his wings in to get him into the bucket). Now you want to get him all the way in up to his butt. Hold him under the water for about 20 seconds and the start moving him up and down for the next minute. this get the water going thru his feathers. Now push him all the way in and fold his legs all the way in to were the feather end on his legs and hold it there for 20 seconds. Pull him out and let him drain and hang him by his feet on the rope. Put the slip knot above his spurs so the knot can catch hold and hold the turkey in place. Place a trash can with a trash bag otr bucket directly under were the bird is hanging.

Now it time to pick and grin! Start with the wings first and then move to the rest of the body. The feathers should pull off very easily. The nice thing about dipping the birds is that the hot water usually kills the ticks. Once the bird is totaly cleaned it is time to take his head off. Cut it off at the base of the neck and I find it best to use a bone saw that I use for deer. Now blood will drain out of the neck area so you want to make sure you have the trash can in place to catch it. Next spread the birds leg and now it is time to gut the bird. It is imperative you have a sharp knive. If you have not already taken the tail off do it now. Next take the knife and trim the skin between his breast and legs this frees up the breast from the legs and makes accessing the cavity easier. I enter the abdomen cavity close to the ahole so you want to penetrate the abdomen as carefully as possible. Once you are inside you want start trimming around his butt so you can get a hold of the intestine and get it free from the abdomen. Do not cut the intestine, your goal here is to get the intestine free and place it outside the cavity. Once this is done it time to get the inners out pull the intestines out and put them in a trash bag or bucket. You should not have to use the knife anymore during this process. Once the intestines, liver, nads, and gizzard are out you need to get the heart out. Finally you go after the lungs. Now the lungs will be right next to the ribcage so you have to get your hands between the lungs and the ribcage to get them out. Next is the windpipe which comes out easy because the head is is gone, just pull it out. Your now done with the cavity.

Next we move to the removal of the craw. This is the hardest part for me. Get the knife and trim the skin at the top of the breast. Basically thank of it as giving the bird a henley shirt. take the knife between the skin and the fat and cut it straight down about 2 inches. This done so you can get your hands between the skin and the craw and pull it out . Work your way up the birds breast and start pulling the craw out. It almost looks like a balloon with air in it. Go slowly because you don't want to peterate the craw. Because gobblers have so much fat on them in the spring, this is a pain! Keep pulling until the whole craw comes out. If it does break it is imperative you get the whole craw out. After your done it is time to get the legs off. Peels the dark skin back toward the feet to expose the knee joints, take the knife and cut the tendons on the side of the knee and bend the feet legs the opposite direction and the knee joint will separate. If you have any trouble just use your knife until you have the legs free from the knee joint. Next move to the next leg, have a partner hold the bird for you on the last leg because the bird is coming down after the leg is removed. Your now finished cleaning the bird! Now it time for cleanup!. Fill the sink with cold water and place the bird in the sink. you want to remove any leftover feathers and clean any blood that is left on the carcass. open the abdomen and flush with water. Make sure you remove anything you might have missed! Wash the with you hands. Now I usualy let the bird soak for a while but that's you option. Once the bird is finished i wrap it in freezer paper real well. I then insert the bird into small white kitchen trash bags(at least 2) and tape up the bags securely around the bird removing all air. Finally I get a black magic marker and put the date and year of the kill. This let's you know how long they have been in the freezer.

Now this is my method but I am sure there are others that have better ways of doing it. This is how I was taught and you may find a easier way. Now I strickly fry all my birds so if I have a few pen feathers I missed the peanut oil will take care of that!
Old 03-30-2004, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tnichols.
I used to scald all of my ducks, geese, turkeys. Not anymore. Take pictures right away and start dry plucking while they are still warm. Much easier, much less mess and work. Feathers and stuff can stay right in the woods. It make my wife much happier as well. Leave tail feathers and head on for DNR ID if needed in your area. When I get home I light up my propane torch and singe off any missed feathers then wash up the carcass.
All the rest of your directions seem spot on.
P.S. The torch works great for getting excess hair off of a skinned deer as well.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:15 PM

Handles
Handles

Just different strokes for different folks. I bet its a pain getting the small wing feathers out. Ticks are a big problem down here and when dry pick, your going to get them on you. I will stay with the water bucket.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

How much meat can you actually get from the leg or thigh of a decent sized bird? Is it really worth the hassle of plucking it? Or is it just best to fillet the breast meat off the bone?