Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Awesome Hunt this morning!!!! >

Awesome Hunt this morning!!!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Awesome Hunt this morning!!!!

Old 03-28-2004, 10:25 AM

Default Awesome Hunt this morning!!!!

Just got home from a awesome morning in the turkey woods. Man were they gobblin today! Got up to my listening post on ridge about 5:15am. The ridge is overlooks a cyprus swamp were they love to roost! 5:30 am........Bam! Gobble 300 yards down the ridge near a small field. I take off and get to him in about 10 minutes I setup in the top corner of the field and set out 2 hen decoys. Let things settle down and get out the old trusty "Aluminator" call. Something about aluminum friction call just drives birds crazy! I send out some loud yelps and cutts Bam! ...Gobble...Gobble....Gobble. Holy cow! I am setup on three Toms!!!! I look to my left and a jake is heading straight for my decoys. He hangs out a while and moves on. I wait until he is out of sight and I call again Bam! they all gobble again but they are exactly were they were before. Crap they have got hens. Time 6:00 am., Down at the far end of the field I see something moving, 2 hens crossing the field at the tree line. They are about 90 yards away, they cross under a fence and move off into the cyprus swamp. Now they did not have a gobbler in tow so as soon as they were out of sight I jumped up grabbed the decoys and moved to the other end of the field were the hens crossed. Man sometimes you just have to go for it!! I know I could get busted but the Toms are in the timber on that side of the field. I figure they are at least 80 to 100 yards back in the timber. So I am set up with the 2 decoys and it is hammertime!!! I hit them with my mouth call... Bam!! Gobble.....80 yards in the timber to my left. Time 7:00am. The 2 hens that went into the swamp start calling...... Crap!! Now its war with the hens, the hens and I start battling it out...you would'nt have believed the racket...yelps...cutts....cackles I threw everything in my arsenal at them.....those Toms gobbled so much I thought they were going to have a heart attack. The hens shut up and so do I.... time 7:15am. Looking thru the timber I see 2 fans at about 50 yards...could'nt hear any drumming though. I call Bam! gobble 40 yards ohhhhhhh yeahhhhhh! They are in trouble now! I have a fence in front of me at about 50 yards and guess what is coming down the road....the boss! Oh Crap! he is to far out and if those hens call I am done. I look to my left 30 yards here comes one of the other gobblers and he is on my side of the fence! heading toward the Boss. I get the Beretta up and send load of #6 Hevishot his way, dropped him in his tracks at 32 yards!!! Time 7:45 am. What a hunt! nice 3 year old bird.

Weight: 19.2 pounds
Beard: 11 inches
spurs: don't know have'nt meaured the yet
chalk one up for team #10!!

I would like to offer some advice for the new turkey hunters out there, don't be afraid to make a move. Listen to your gut instict, if that voice inside your head says move.... do it!! yeah you will get busted sometimes but sometimes you have got to be aggressive. I knew those Toms were not going to cross the field so when the coast was clear I moved to them.
9 times out of 10 this has paid off. When you do move don't putt around use cover and shadows and get to your spot quickly and setup. Man............I live for turkey hunting!!!!!
Old 03-28-2004, 10:43 AM

Default RE: Awesome Hunt this morning!!!!

Wow Great Hunt! Loved your account of the action. Moving can make all the difference in the world. My hats off to ya,
Go team 10
Old 03-28-2004, 11:12 AM

tnichols did you hunt out of state.....tenn turkey season opens april the 3rd......
Old 03-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

..Now that is good news....i love to hear them gobble..good turkey..
Old 03-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats,Fantastic hunt.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats go out to you too on an awesome hunt....nice gobbler
Old 03-28-2004, 05:17 PM

Nice job. I'm one of those rookies you mentioned and I thank you for the information. So far A haven't heard a "gobble" yet but now with your story and situation I'll know what to try if my "gut" tells me. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:51 PM

Congrats, good J.O.B!
Old 03-28-2004, 08:39 PM

Congrats! I enjoyed the story.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:51 PM

Congrats on an awesome hunt!!!!

Quick Reply: Awesome Hunt this morning!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.