Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

TICS

Old 03-23-2004, 07:39 PM

Default TICS

wow well last year was my first year for turkey it was so much fun did not shoot at anything but had one going crazy just out of veiw. but we ran into a problem with ticks is this a problem everone has and if so what do you do or what do you use take care of this.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TICS

Use permethrine to treat your clothes and it really works at repelling ticks. One brand name is Repel with Permanone, and you can get it at walmart. Spray your clothes, let it dry, and its good for 2 weeks. The stuff really works.

Paul
Old 03-24-2004, 10:48 AM

hey thanks that will help how well does it work where we are going we are staying for 3 days and we slepp in tents would it be ok to spray my tent with this stuff so they stay out and do they die from this stuff or does it repel them. thanks again

dallas killian
Old 03-24-2004, 11:18 AM
JW
Super Moderator

If you stay in tents....

Remove all leaf litter in the tent if it has no floor. You can then treat the ground with any typical house and garden spray or even Yard Guard.

If your tent has a floor. Again I would remove leaf litter of the ground past the size of the tent. I would spray as above. Or Do not remove the leaf litter but spray and palce a piece of plastic down and build the tent on this.

Treating your clothes as described above is good information. It does work. I also treat my boots and my hat.

I do use OFF! on my skin as you CAN NOT use the Permanone on your skin if the tick population is really bad.

Also I wear long johns and tuck my leg bottoms in my socks. Only thing exposed on me is my hands, & neck as I wear tight collared shirts.

Back at camp and when I remove my hunting clothes and long johns they all go into a big plastic bag and I spray a bit in this and then seal.

If bitten. Remove the tick promptly with a forceps and wash the bitten area and your hands with hot water and soap. Place the tick on a file card with a piece of tape over it and mark area bitten and date. Save this is if ya come down with some unkown ailment you got the critter.

Removal of the tick is easy if you check each morning and each night before bed. Ticks do attach thru their piercing chewing moth parts. They do not burrow under the skin. It takes 24 to 36 hours to get infected from any tick that has bitten you. That is why prompt removal is a must!

You get them out quickly is the best rememdy.

JW!
Old 03-24-2004, 04:15 PM

hey thanks alot what are some of the effects a tick could make on you and what is leaf litter is this leaves that end up in the tent. so it is this inportant to keep the tick i got bit like 20 times and i plucked everone of them out cut them into and put them outside my tent does have a floor. um i think that is it.

o yea what would this do to your skin if you did use it on you
Old 03-25-2004, 06:35 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Sorry leaf litter is the ground cover. Scarp the ground cover away from where you place you tent. A simple garden rake will do just fine.

Am not a Doctor - Do a internet search on tick disease.

Tick-transmitted diseases of humans.

Babesiosis

Colorado tick fever

Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE)

Relapsing fever

Rocky Mountain spotted fever

Tularemia

Lyme disease

Some symptoms are chills and fever.

Lymes can (but may not) have a red bulls eye or red circle around the area.

I carry some alcohol wipes to clean the area that was bitten.

And for deep bites I use a bit of Neosporin a cream and an band aid.

JW
Old 03-25-2004, 09:23 AM

hey thanks so much both of you guys gave me alot of info. last year we did not know about the ticks and if we could not find a way to stop it this year i would of had a hard time going again. i think i have found everthing i need on the internet and from here thanks alot. this was my first topic that i have started on here and it was great thanks so much. people are so nice in there forums this shows you that threr are so many nice people and almost all of them i would trust hunting with me thanks alot

dallas killian

im pretty tufff but the ticks had me almost beat we had no replent or anthing so this year will be better.