Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 I took my boy turkey hunting......... >

I took my boy turkey hunting.........

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I took my boy turkey hunting.........

Old 03-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default I took my boy turkey hunting.........

I took my 4yr old on his first turkey hunt the other day. It was a late morning hunt and we didn't hear any birds gobble or any hens yelp, but it was fun none the less.(for me anyway) I set up a TD jakes blind to try to help conceal some of the movement, as you can probably imagine, I gave him my Lohman's push button call and let him use it. I've never heard the call sound like that before. I think the turkeys stayed quiet due to the agony to their ears, but it was music to mine. To be able and have the opportunity to introduce my sons to our great sport and way of life, is a gift that only compares to the excitement of their arrival. Right now, he's short on patience, but has the makings of a great one in the future.

I'm sharing this brief story, to let everyone know that it is up to us to introduce the next generation to our way of life and that it is important that we do so. I may have to sacrifice a few days afield that I may have been able to take a bird to accomplish this task, but to see the look in the eyes of a youngster when they make their new discoveries I realize that there has been no sacrifice at all, but a reward that they will remember and cherish those times with the 'ole man as I do with mine.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I took my boy turkey hunting.........

My hat is off to you....Good job.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:43 PM

That's the best... My 2 1/2 year old Daughter keeps asking me everytime I go to my NWTF chapter"Turkey meeting) if she can go with and "Shoot Turkey" Pretty awesome, I tell her when She's old enough I'd be more than happy. It's what we all need to do, even if you don't have kids take one hunting or fishing anyways.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great post and I agree with gettin the youngsters involved.Never too young to get them started
Old 03-22-2004, 08:51 AM

I think that's great. My father started taking me when I was that age and I shot my first turkey only a few years later. I'm thankful I have a father that took the time. I don't have any children yet but when I do I hope they ask me if they can go.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

welcome him for me......sounds like a great hunt....
Old 03-22-2004, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Way to go! It's always great to hear about two generations enjoying the hunting experience together. There's still hope yet to share this idea with more people out there.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:47 PM

Good job. Get those kids started early. I was and I really appreciate what my dad did for me.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

SEMPER FI DEVIL DAWG, FORMER MARINE. TALK AT YA LATER.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:21 PM

Amen

Quick Reply: I took my boy turkey hunting.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.