Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Got One!! (Pic)

Old 03-19-2004, 03:49 PM

Default Got One!! (Pic)

Got up at 1:00 AM this morning and drove 3 hours and 20 minutes to my old hunting grounds across the state. Set up on a field edge about 4:50 AM on a clear morning. But when it started breaking day---the fog rolled in. I heard no gobbling from the roost. The fog lifted a little and I saw a hen about 70 yards out in the field slightly to my right. As the fog continued to lift I saw about 10 hens and two strutting gobblers. I gave them a yelp with my mouth call and both gobblers sounded off---but had no intention of heading my way. The hens drug them off to my right to the larger part of the field which was out of my sight due to a big cedar tree. Being patient---you never know---I clucked and purred off and on for the next 45 mins. After the fog completely lifted and I could see nothing else---I eased over the cedar tree to take a peek. Low and behold I spotted the two gobblers about 125 yards away just stepping out of the wood by themselves. They started to head further away so I yelped. They immediately did a 180 and started my way. I yelped once more and then set up on the edge of the field so I could take them as soon as they got past the tree. When I got situated---I saw a hen about 45 yards away looking at me. I thought it was over. I remained motionless---but finally had to take a chance on moving to get my gun up. Fortunately I did not spook the hen---which was now working great as a live decoy. A few minutes later the gobblers came into view and I had to wait for them to seperate. As soon as they did---I floored my first for the year. It was around 7:00 AM. As it turned out he was about 45 steps away and a young bird. 1/2" spurs, 8 1/2" beard, 18lbs 7 oz.
Took him with my Mossberg 835, .685 Hastings Choke, #5 3.5" Rem HV Hevi-shot.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:56 PM

Default RE: Got One!! (Pic)

Woo woo!!! Way to go. I am so pumped to go, I can hardly stand it, and a story like yours really gets me excited. I won't get to go until Kansas' opener April 10th, so I'm in real misery. Congrats on your hunt!! Nice pic, too. Always good to see success!!
Old 03-19-2004, 05:00 PM

Congrats on the turk. I didn't draw a spring tag hopefully I'll get a fall tag. So keep the stories comming some of us have to live vicariously through others[&:].
Old 03-19-2004, 05:02 PM

Way to go Sour01!! Looks like your taking up where you left off last spring! Did you ever find any good hunting spots around where you live now or did you just want to go back to the old stomping grounds for old times sake? Well, we will be waiting to hear about the next one.......good luck!
Old 03-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow! Congrats Sour
Old 03-19-2004, 06:26 PM
VP

Way to go Sour01!

Nice Bird, Congrats!
Old 03-19-2004, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

Nice bird. Congrats. If I ever become a mathmatician and learn how to put 2 and 2 together, I'll be able to post one of those too.[:@]
Old 03-19-2004, 06:39 PM

Sour01,

Good thing for the birds sake that turkey season is only a month long! Great job man, thanks for showing the pic!!!! My bad just seen you were in Alabama where it's 5 weeks correct? I'm sending my girlfriend down in another week to hunt with her Dad outside of Tuscaloosa just so she can work on her calling!! I couldn't make the trip b/c of work. I did help out the states deer population over the Christmas Holidays though!
Old 03-19-2004, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations on a great kill! I'm waiting for April 10th to roll around here in Virginia...the days are dragging on.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice start to your season! Hope it continues to go great for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.