Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkeys gobbling in GA

Old 03-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkeys gobbling in GA

Ok there Bubba and Mossyhead,

Send them dang birds past Yuchi and down a few miles torge Girard. I was out this morning and yesterday evening looking for gobblers off Griffin Landing road. I heard two gobbles this morning but the were so far away, it woudnt do me no good. I'll be there in the morning but I might be walking around jumping deer Seen more deer yesterday and this morning then I did during deer season on that lease![:@] Of course in deer season, it was slap full of turkeys, go figure I live in Waynesboro, so be on the look out for a little white S10 with feathers flying out the back.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:01 AM

Well, the birds that I listened to all week and thought I had pegged, werent there this morn. S**T happens. I was on a limited time schedule this morning anyway and didn't have time to chase down the few birds I did hear. Overall, I didn't hear near as many birds today as yesterday. Only counted 4-5 shots. Better luck tomorrow!!
Old 03-22-2004, 06:09 AM

Well I hunted Alexander WMA this weekend, heard one bird but it was of the the WMA and gould not get it to moved on to where I could get a shot at it. Pretty frustating when you have one that wants to gobble, and you know it is on land you can't hunt, but that is all part of the game.

Robert
Old 03-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

Mossyhead,

As you know our season opened Sat. Mar 20th, I heard 4 and went after one of them, he went over a ridge and wouldn't come back. Sunday, 21st I only heard two, one was the same one I went after Sat., went away again. I got to thinking about what he did and fiqured him out. He would go over the ridge to his strut zone and hang up (by the way, over the ridge was another mans' property and I couldn't go after him). This morning, the 22nd I heard 3, the same one was at it again, went after again, he did the same thing, but I stayed put and kept calling. Had a jake come in, 6 different hens, then finally at about 8:30 a.m. he came in with a jake trailing behind. I got him at about 25 yds. He weighed 18.59 lbs, had a 10 in. beard, and both spurs was 3/4 in. each.

Had to brag a little as you can tell.

dog1
Old 03-22-2004, 06:02 PM

Is it just me or are the birds acting funny this year. I'm guessing they are all henned up. I can't find a bird that wants to gobble more than once or twice, and they arent roosting anywhere near the same area from one day to the next. Anyone else having trouble??

Whats up with that?
Old 03-22-2004, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

My opening day was not to bad, just empthy handed.

Well I thought it was going to be a skunky looking morning cause I didnt hear no gobbling and one shot untill about 7:00. Then at 7:03 I heard a few gobbles close enough and on my club, so I decided to move in a little closer. After I went about 200 yards, I waited for about five minutes and nothing. So a did a few yelps and nothing for another five minutes. I was thinking he was across the line on the other side of this creek, when I started moving again. PUTT PUTT PUTT!!!!! Oh crap, fifty yards in some green growth. I did'nt think he seen me, but he knew I was there. I instantly droped to a kneeling ready position, with saftey off. I followed him out of the thick stuff and he walked back and forth facing away. I was ready, but he was to far. Sooooo, I waited. After about a half hour of this son of a gun walking back and forth varying from 50 to 70 yards, he finally walked out of site just over the hill. All the while he was putting and gobbling!! Putt, putt, putt gobble. (wait a few seconds) Putt, putt, putt gobble.

Sniper/sneak mode set in and I knee crawled forward about 10 feet to see if I could get up to a log between us, and look over the ridge. He must of heard me and thought I was scratching for food, here he come a running I'm on my hands and knees with my gun on the ground Ok dont move........hes about 30 yards, oh lord if I could get my gun up But wait a minute his beard, where is it? Crap, its a just nub, Mr. Jake had me thinking I was in a serious pickel.

Ok my turn to play after a few minutes of eye balling me and then I guess he was thinking no turkeys were around, so he started to move on. I let him get about 80 yards over the hill, (and after the feeling came back to me legs and back). I grabed a stick and moved over against a big oak with spanish moss hanging all over. I use the stick and scraped like some feeding turkeys. Let out a few yelps and purrs on my Kaiser Call. Here he came a running.

40 yards, and looking hard! This time he did'nt stay around. He left back in the direction he was heading without a hen, but alive.

This lasted from 7:03 till about 8:30. And I was home by 10:00 to go to my daughters soccer game.

Sunday, I called up two hens with my Kaiser glass call. That was it, and I thought I heard a gobble on the other side of the road. I crossed the road and when I went over some bumps, my shot gun fell off and landed in the mud barrel first. So I quit and went to move my tripod stands before the loggers come next week[:'(]
yall be careful out there. Ill be back at 'em next weekend.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:31 PM

Better luck than us(my wife and I).

Hey mike bell,

I hunt on the piece of Yuchi thats on the river. I take griffen landing road and either hunt just accross(NE) river road(about 1/4 mile) on the right or about 1/4 mile down river road to the SE just before you go down the first big hill. I drive a Blue Toyota. I reckon were pretty close to each other. Ive been lookin for the white s-10.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:30 AM

Another Augusta area hunter here.

I've been to 3 diferent locations during this past weekend's opener, and heard one distant gobbles at sunrise but nothing afterwards. I did see 3 deer and a hen but that was it. The week before the opener, they seemed to be everywhere but got all hushed up on Saturday morning. I'm headed out to Yucci tomorrow morning and I'll post the results. I too hunt the section over by the river.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:06 AM

Sorrry I have not posted anyting in a while. I have been hunting everyday since the season opened. I have only heard 2 birds. I do not know what happen to all the birds that I was hearing the week before opening day. We did get some cold fronts that moved through on the weekend, I don't know if that had something to do with it or not. I have only talked to a hand full of people that has had any luck. Great job on the bird dog1. I'm glad someone is having some luck. Hey Bubba I feel the same way you do. The birds are acting real funny this year. I have never seen the birds act like this. Bubba let me get your email address so we can get in touch and do some hunting. Mike Bell I would love to send some birds your way, but I have to find some birds first. It was cold hunting this morning. It was one of the coldest morning that I had ever hunted turkeys. When I got out of my truck it was 27*F. It was cold. I did not stay out there long because I did not hear a bird. I really do hope the hunting gets better.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hopefully it will warm up this weekend coming. Boy thats a first for me I hate hot weather[:'(]

Quick Reply: Turkeys gobbling in GA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.