Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Chalk

Old 03-16-2004, 09:17 AM

Default Chalk

What kind of chalk do ya'll use for your box calls?? My dad bought some from HS Strut and said the call went totally silent, like it had some kinda wax or something in it....he scrubbed the chalk off and used some of his old chalk and it worked fine....we used to use that carpenters chalk that came in a cake, can't hardly find it anymore......what do ya'll use??
Old 03-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Chalk

I got this stuff from Primos, works fine.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:35 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

I have had the same problem with chalk from Lynch. I find that it is very waxy and that it gets a sheen very quickly that causes the call to work poorly if at all.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chaulk can come in different Denitdies, some work better then others.If too light it tends to smear on and create a slippery surface. That same can go for chaulk that has been already applied. After used a number of times the paddle can wipe off the most part and create a slippery effect. One reason for the use of chaulk is to take out any top dampness in the woods that may create a slide instead of a friction. ...BT
Old 03-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

What about chalk on slate or glass calls, will that work? Whats the point of chalk anyway?
Old 03-16-2004, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

I just use plain blue carpenters chalk. Works great for me...And no, you don't use chalk on any slate or glass or pot style calls.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

O-O not sure how to say this with out affending BrushChimp [&o]

Yes ,chaulk can be applied to Slate calls and only slate surfaces. The chaulk will take dampness out of the slate and create a better friction for your strikers. I quit offten use it in Friction Comp's. Sorry BC didn't mean to reply over your statement, I hate it when that happens [:'(]...BT
Old 03-17-2004, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like BC,I use carpenters chalk too.I buy it in the solid chunks(not the powder) at the hardware store.You can get a pretty big piece for under $1.oo.and like Adrian I've used chalk to doctor up a slate call too.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:06 PM

Blue builders chalk works fine. That is what I send out with my box calls. ACE Hardware here selld it for $.48 a cake. Cut it into quarters on a band saw or with a coping saw. NO NOT use blackboard chalk, it contains oil that will dampen the call sound.

Quick Reply: Chalk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.