Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 anyone use a wingbone call? >

anyone use a wingbone call?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

anyone use a wingbone call?

Old 03-15-2004, 06:21 PM

Default anyone use a wingbone call?

i have used about every call made to hunt turkeys,but have never used a wingbone.i had one made from a wingbone from last year and have been practicing,but cannot get the consistency i should.it seems like bowhunting using a kisser button[which i do ] if i could get exactly the same place on my mouth everytime,i should be able to duplicate the previous series,but i cannot.any tips out there from someone that uses one?[&o]
Old 03-15-2004, 06:55 PM

Default RE: anyone use a wingbone call?

loner, I use one. The trick to it is to tighten your lips when sucking in on the call. Wingbones are usually only good for clucks and yelps. So practice this and you should do fine, hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:57 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Here is a web-site to practice too.

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/wingbone-call.html

Just open the sounds.

to help keep that call int eh same place each time go get a small 'o'-ring from a hardware store. Slip it over the end and slide tot he place that allows you to make the same sound each time. I also use these 'o' rings to help me keep it in my mouth hands free and to possible give that one last cluck.

JW
Old 03-15-2004, 07:03 PM

I have had a wing bone for a couple years now myself. I can yelp and cluck with it pretty fair, But I can't cut or cackle with it. I even have brought it with me hunting, but I am afraid to use it. Not enough confidence in my abillity with it. Maybe this year I will let those gobblers hear it, and let them decide if they like it or not. As you can see I am no expert at it. I think you are on the right track with finding the same location on your lips. I use the right side of my mouth with mine. Its like every thing else, Practice Practice Practice untill the wife throws something at you. Good luck with it.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:18 AM

I have one that PowDuck, my cousin, made for me from the first turkey that he killed a few years ago. Like Turkey Addict, I've lacked the confidence in the past to actually use it in hunting situations. But lately I've been practicing with it and I think it will go with me this year. Just the novelty of using it seems to be the most exciting part. Also I've noticed that the sound seems to carry very well with the wingbone, so on windy days I will for sure try it out.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:04 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Wingerbones are definitley a windy call call for sure!

Great call others days too.

and is my late season hunting take the bird over the edge weapon.

Do I like them? Naw..hehehe

Why do ya thnk the tom at the bottom of the page is gobblin' so much - He's jsut been boned!

JW!
Old 03-16-2004, 06:09 PM

I took my first bird ever better than 35 years ago useing a wingbone.
I have used them over the years some part of the season.I only use mine for yelping.it is a one peiace bone that I can stick behind my ear like a peancil.
they take some pratice to get used to.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:48 AM

thanks for the tip on the 'o' ring JW, i will try that and see if it helps.i am going to keep taking it with me and practicing to and from the hunt.I WILL CALL A BIRD WITH IT BEFORE THE END OF THE SEASON.thanks to all for the help.